Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default House garage mod has started!!!

A few weeks ago, I am sure that many of you may remember me asking for measurements on your garages, well this week the house mod hase started. My basement is very large, but is cut in half by load bearing 2x6s and they have got to go. The boat is sitting outside today in the rain and that just isn't going to do. I will update with more pictures when they have completed the job. They just left to go pick up a 6x6x25 20' I-beam to span the removed boards. I figure the baot will be in by the weekend if the rain stops and the yard dries enough to be driven through.

Boat sitting in the rain, it has been under covered storage all year except for this week and it has not rained in forever!!!

Garage before the modification:

15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Garage with the 2x6s removed and the temporaty supports in place:

15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Jesse - This is good stuff. Keep it coming. Looking forward to watching the progress and completed project. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Jesse,

You are doing the right thing! The last two houses we bought, we did so with the boat in mind. We told the realtor that our boat had to fit in the garage but the problem is that most listings don't show the garage dimensions. So we would go look at a house and we would wait in the driveway and ask the realtor to open the garage door. We would measure it and if the boat wouldn't fit, we would move on to the next house. The realtor would say, we are already here, you want to take a look inside? We said, no thanks. We did this a couple times before the realtor finally got it. She said, "Now I know what you're looking for - you want a nice garage with an attached house!". I said, "You got it!".

We probably passed on 8 of 10 houses because the garage was too short. Really limits your options.

When I bought my first boat, it did not fit in the garage so we kept it outside the first few years and after that experience, I will never own a house again where the boat won't fit in the garage.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

That 1st picture sure is sad looking. Glad to see your going to be able to get her tucked away soon.

I too made sure the boat would fit inside before buying the house, we actually towed the boat over and backed it into the garage just to make sure cause it was so close. Then of course 3 months later we traded that boat in for the Moomba.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Looks like you are making good work on the project. Are you making the door bigger?
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Here are a few more pics of the removal of the load bearing studs. If you look in the picture at the new red/rust colored beam, that is what I had installed. There is still one 2x4 that will end up going as soon as I can get some air conditioning duct holder. I had to leave the 2x4 in order to keep the ducting up. It looks like I will have plenty of room to get the boat in. As soon as the rain stops and the yard dries enought to drive on, I will tuck her away.

Jester, the door will not have to me modified. With the tower off it will clear with plenty of room. When I took the width measurements I found out that I did not calculate the 20% yeungling error into the mix. When talking with the contractor he said you know that is a 107" door right and I said no it is only 96-97 inches. He then got out his tape measure followed by the question of how many beers had I downed when I took the measurement.

15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

looks like you'll not only have room for the boat but alot of elbow room for the winter upgrades Looks like a good open space.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Jesse, nice looking mod for the ol moombie... she needs to get inside....keep up the good work. i wish my garage had the extra boat bay....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Default Garage modification

When I did my big remodel and addition 10 years ago I had the roof of the double car garage craned off and set it in the driveway. I then raised the door opening 1 foot and removed the rear wall and installed an I beam so I could make the garage longer by 5' . I also raised the side wall up 1' to match the rest . Then had the roof craned back on and nailed it back to the walls and the house. My neighbors must have thought I was nuts!! It was only the beginning of the addition.

I take it you are going to drywall the garage area to meet code?
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..