Default Tarp or No Tarp?

I am keeping my boat on a lift this winter (with a roof over the whole boat). I winterized it, put the boat cover in place, then secured a plastic tarp from Home Depot over the whole boat (tower & boat). I wonder if the tarp will do more harm than good. The tarp will protect the boat cover and prevent the sun from damaging the uncovered sides of the boat, but I am concerned that it might trap moisture. Maybe I should cut a hole in the top to permit air to circulate better. Anyone have experience covering their boat with a tarp?
    2010 Outback

My experience with boat tarps is lots of mildew on the interior.
    04 LSV

And another question while I'm on this subject: Does storage in a garage make a big difference? I am in the Midwest, and could rent a storage garage for a couple hundred bucks a month during the winter, but I am not sure I would gain anything. I know indoor storage sounds nice, but does it really save my boat in the long run?
    2010 Outback

Quote Originally Posted by jmondl View Post
    And another question while I'm on this subject: Does storage in a garage make a big difference? I am in the Midwest, and could rent a storage garage for a couple hundred bucks a month during the winter, but I am not sure I would gain anything. I know indoor storage sounds nice, but does it really save my boat in the long run?

those tarps arent breathable, hence the mildew.. also if the tarp isnt super snug you may get some chaffing on the gel coat if the tarp is flapping around....

j - I live up the road from you, about 350 miles, just north of Chicago. I've kept stuff in a storage locker for extended periods and noticed mildew. There is no air movement or sunshine. Was just household items. If it were me, I would pass on the standard ground floor rental for boat storage. As it is, I put one of my cars outside for the winter to free up garage stall space for the Outback. Stays dry and mildew free. Run a small fan to keep the air circulating. I get carried away, as I also run antifreeze as part of the winterizaton. I think the tarp over your cover will capture mositure and result in mildew. Maybe get a cheap canvas cover so you have two layers and keep the boat on the lift? - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I used to use a blue tarp to cover my boat cover but I was concerned more with the tarp's rub points wearing at the boat cover's waterproofing. I never had a problem with mildew underneath as there is enough wind for air to pass through but then the flapping movement can wear on the cover surface. The UV isn't a problem in the winter because there isn't enough of it to do any damage.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I think if you took a survey on this, a majority of us have tried the tarp in some form or another and ultimately found that there is really no substantial benefits to it other than piece of mind. I think in the time you spent tarping you would be better off trying to mildew proof instead. Primarily, getting it as dry as possible prior to tarping. From what I have been reading on the other posts, the water between the floor/hull issue would make that task almost impossible. Putting the seats indoors and 303 the vinyl left in the boat was a big help for me. And another thing, anything touching the vinyl any time of the year will cause the black death to grow in that spot!
    2006 Moomba OBV-"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you".

Quote Originally Posted by jmondl View Post
    I am keeping my boat on a lift this winter (with a roof over the whole boat). I winterized it, put the boat cover in place, then secured a plastic tarp from Home Depot over the whole boat (tower & boat). I wonder if the tarp will do more harm than good. The tarp will protect the boat cover and prevent the sun from damaging the uncovered sides of the boat, but I am concerned that it might trap moisture. Maybe I should cut a hole in the top to permit air to circulate better. Anyone have experience covering their boat with a tarp?
    I leave mine in my boat port all year, first the cover then a tarp over the cover. Cover is tight around the hull to keep the peskies out and the tarp is just over the back 2/3 of the boat.....never had a prob with mildew......have done it this way for 11 years. This year I decided to tarp the sides and back of the boat port and just a tarp over the back half covering the cover and the speakers. I use multiple bungie cords and secure tarp to the lift. Never had a prob with rash marks, but the tail of my boat faces east and most winds are from the nwest....has worked for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq25IHRMSkk
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 11-10-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

ditch the tarp since you already have a roof over it!
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)