Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yeah those things are ridiculous- I had no idea they were thousands of dollars. I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much money on something that looks like it's going to kill me! My brother got to try one out this summer... the thing started doing the bucking bronco, his eyes got real big... and booom.... the rest of us decided against trying it.

It looks like a lot of fun if you know what you're doing though-

Quote Originally Posted by schuylski View Post
    Yeah those things are ridiculous- I had no idea they were thousands of dollars.
    Yes. Plus, it's a waste of money to get an entry-level model. Once you get past the beginner stage, you want a more capable one. When I got my XLV, a buddy bought a mid-range SkySki as his contribution. Fortunately, he did his research thoroughly and it's great for our needs. Mid-range model, shock absorber, CINCH bindings. I finally ponied up the dough (more than $500) for a rack so that we could get the big thing out of the boat's interior.
    I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much money on something that looks like it's going to kill me!
    Hence the unpopularity of hydrofoiling. Given that it's about 5% of the cost of the boat, yet DOUBLES the value of having the boat, I think that it's great. You can hydrofoil in water that's choppy enough to make you give up on wakeboarding.
    My brother got to try one out this summer... the thing started doing the bucking bronco, his eyes got real big... and booom....
    Was there any instruction? A beginner should start at 10-12 MPH and be taught to lean ALL the way forward ("Superman" pose) immediately after getting up. This keeps the board down on the water while a beginner learns left/right balance.

Do you know how a wakeboarding beginner has to be taught to let the feet get pushed to one's backside when starting... yet they instinctively push away anyway? "You are not doing what you think you are doing." Similarly, most hydrofoiling beginners have to be repeatedly told that they are barely leaning forward at all.
    the rest of us decided against trying it.
    That is unfortunate. With a good instructor, even the failures are low risk but hilarious. Wearing a helmet and neck roll is strongly recommended in case you accidentally get more height than expected.
    It looks like a lot of fun if you know what you're doing though-
    Yep.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini