Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mobius LSV Questions

Hey guys,

I'm buying my first home, a lake home here shortly, and will eventually be buying a boat!

I've narrowed the boats down to a 06+ Mobius LSV, and the original mastercraft xstars, and a mid 2000s malibu v-ride and maybe wakesetter (dont like to looks of Malibus). I am leaning towards the Mobius as it really is the best value, but if I will be using the boat a TON, I might spring for a bit more. Budget is 30k or under.

Anyway, I've done a lot of searching on this forum, and found lots of good info. I do have a couple questions.

If a Mobius LSV comes with gravity 1 ballast, does all the plumbing exist, or at least is it easy to add the additional rear bags? I'll be weighing it down with more I am sure.

The lake I am buying a home on is shallow in some spots. Maybe 4-5 feet between the two parts of a lake. I've seen large wakeboard boats sitting on docks, so I'm guessing they don't have issues. But during wakeboarding, on a plane, what is the draft of a Mobius LSV? I know it's 24 inches, no ballast, no on plane.

My first season, I might not have a boat lift. How does the lsv do sitting in the water for a season?

Now I know in 2006 the mobius hull was switched. I made a spreadsheet to compare hulls, and it looks like the Outback LSV is the same hulls as the Mobius LSV from 2006-2007. I wouldn't mind an Outback lsv if this is true, but you never see the LSV for sale, just the V. Why is this?

Thanks guys

Anyone else from Michigan out here?

The draft on any inboard V-Drive will be about the same (within a few inches) of each other, so none of your boats listed will have an advantage there.

Changing from GI to GIII should be pretty easy. You may find it to be cheaper to go with some different (and larger ) bags.

A few people leave their boats in the water for long periods. As with all fiberglass boats, there is a chance for blistering. Proper care before putting in the water will help limits that.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Welcome to the forum. Some answers to your questions:

Gravity I comes with only what is required for the front bag. To convert to Gravity III, you will need a new switch plate with additional switches, new wiring harness, two sprinkler valves, new manifold for the additional valves, two drain pumps, two thru hulls, two fat sacs, and a bunch of 3/4" hose and fittings.

The draft on plane should be less than the draft at rest (everything else being equal) since the boat is planing on top of the water.

Can't help you on how the Moomba does sitting in the water year round as I trailer my boat.

The Outback LSV is the same hull as the Mobius LSV - it just does not have the tower. You don't see many Outback LSV's because most people that opt for the V-drive also want the tower.

Hope that helps.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thanks for the input guys.

I guess, I am going to look for an LSV with Gravity III ballast as I don't want to run all the lines and fittings. I have no problem doing it, but rather keep the factory setup as far as plumbing, and then just upgrade the bags and the pumps.

Draft on plane makes sense that it will be less than when not on plane. Figured I'd ask. I'll just have to not wake surf in shallow water.

Also, final question, how easy is it to get financing on boats? I have good credit, and will be putting 10k down (at least) when time comes to buy a boat. Is it fairly easy to get financed on these?

Thanks

my LSV sits on water all summer long. Just make sure your bilge pump is clean and in good shape.

Financing is realy easy but i would not put 10k down on a 30k boat. I would personnaly put 5k and finance 25k for 10 to 15 years and keep the other 5k for all the extra equipement and expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyxc View Post
    Thanks for the input guys.

I guess, I am going to look for an LSV with Gravity III ballast as I don't want to run all the lines and fittings. I have no problem doing it, but rather keep the factory setup as far as plumbing, and then just upgrade the bags and the pumps.

Draft on plane makes sense that it will be less than when not on plane. Figured I'd ask. I'll just have to not wake surf in shallow water.

Also, final question, how easy is it to get financing on boats? I have good credit, and will be putting 10k down (at least) when time comes to buy a boat. Is it fairly easy to get financed on these?

Thanks
    If you search "ballast upgrade" you will see that many of us have upgraded our ballast systems as the factory system is very slow to fill. The advantage of the GIII system is that at least all the electrical will be already in place so even if you decide to upgrad your ballast system, you won't need to upgrade the electrical other than change out a couple fuses.

You don't want to wakesurf in real shallow water anyway (about 5' or less) as you won't get much of a wave.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCaron View Post
    my LSV sits on water all summer long. Just make sure your bilge pump is clean and in good shape.

Financing is realy easy but i would not put 10k down on a 30k boat. I would personnaly put 5k and finance 25k for 10 to 15 years and keep the other 5k for all the extra equipement and expenses.
    I'm sorry but financing a boat for 10-15 years is for suckers. Put what you can down, get the lowest financing possible and pay off as soon as possible. If the only way you can afford a boat is to finance out 12-15 years you need to reconsider the boat because other boat expenses will come up. I'm not saying the original poster of this is in this situation, I'm just saying people in general. I have mine at 6.25% but automatic payment dropped it to 6%
    Last edited by you da man; 11-03-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Putting everything he can down and finance the rest on the shortest term possible is (In my opinion) the best way for a "new to boating" owner to have hard times with the extra expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCaron View Post
    Putting everything he can down and finance the rest on the shortest term possible is (In my opinion) the best way for a "new to boating" owner to have hard times with the extra expenses.
    I just can't see putting 10-15% down, finance for 10-15 years and being upside down the entire time. If you find hard times, how do you get out from under the boat or if you decide to trade in or sell, you have to come with thousands to break even.

With a 5k cash down on a used 30k boat you should be able to sell under the market price after a year and a half of ownership even with an interest rate of 8% for 13 years.