Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prop Removal

Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    Dru, no offence taken. I think of myself very mechanically inclined, but I don't wield a propane torch often (or ever), so, just a little hesitant. I realize that it'll take a LOT of heat to deform the prop to the point of putting it out of balance, but still. I also couldn't see buying a 50 dollar propane torch for about 5 minutes of use - and none of my buddies I called that day had one I could borrow.

The boat is in storage now, so it'll have to wait till spring. It was a fairly cold day, so not an ideal time to be trying it without additional heat. My last effort didn't do any good, but I left the puller with a lot of pressure on it for the entire day, thinking that I could benefit from any temperature differential. Nothing. I beat the back of the puller senseless, so, really the only option now is heat.

I attached a few photos of what the key looks like looking from the stern of the boat. You can see the key sitting on top of the last of the threads - this certainly isn't what a key was meant to do! I'm thinking once I do finally get the prop off, I'll be getting a new key!
    Looks like the key is seized onto the prop's keyway. Did you try to drive the key back into the keyway by using a punch or screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Looks like the key is seized onto the prop's keyway. Did you try to drive the key back into the keyway by using a punch or screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer?
    Yeah I agree that key is definitely what's making it difficult for you. I second Al's idea of pounding the key back in with a punch.

Exclamation

yup going to have to use a punch and drive that key down. thats probably what is giving u the grief and definetly putting extra force on theprop>>>>>>good luck in the spring, just dont get to rammy.

My thoughts exactly. Once I got the nylock off, I pretty much knew I was in for it. But since I was down there, thought I'd give it a go. I didn't have a punch, so I didn't get too into trying the drive the key back. I did try use a screwdriver, but I wasn't able to get a real good angle, and didn't get too aggro with it.

I figure I just need a drift punch and should be able to drive it back. At least, hopefully. Some heat, a punch, and a hammer, and I think I'll be able to get it licked.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

hope your shaft isn't bent .......I believe this is what happened to mine. although the key was jammed up against the strut. never could get the motor aligned and I never experienced any vibration issues either......with yours it just may throw out the prop tho
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 11-02-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I sure hope it's not either Doc!!

I haven't ever noticed any vibrations, and nothing out of the ordinary at least. So, yeh, I hope it's not bent!

I personally don't think it is, my alignment appears to be good (though I'll check it again once I do get the prop off). I just really hope that I don't mar up the threads if I can get that key to move back, or, if I do mar them up, that they won't get used. Time will tell!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.