Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've never known what it's like not to live on the water. a brief 4 year hiatus (aka college) took me away for part of the year, but was always on the water for the summer months.

What do you do if you don't live on the water. What do kids do all day long during the summer? we swim, ski, tube, fish ......

Can't imagine anything else. The downside, hmmmmmmm. can't think of anything.

I live a 1/2 mile from the water and is one of a dozen places I go to. I was raised with a summer cabin and I was slalom skiing at age 6 but I got tired of going to the same place all the time. The problem here is the Corps of Engineers manages the shoreline and everyone have to remove their docks as it is a hinderence for the salmon smolts. I looked at waterfront in Arkansas for retirement. Those prices are reasonable.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

thanks for the great feedback...

some more details based on your responses:

- the house is very appealing to me because it is 5 mins away from my current house now. I live in a very residential area.... and the house would be 10 mins away from Home Depot / Best Buy / Groceries etc... and a 35min commute to work... on top of that, my kids wouldnt even have to change elementary school and district.

- i am very familiar with the lake.... it has been my primary lake for 2 years
    2007 Mobius LSV

We are on a small lake in NC. We love it and having the boat on a lift is huge plus for me as I have no other garage that it will fit in. Not to mention 1 min and it's in the water. Maybe the only drawback to that is I don't do as much exterior wax/wash as I should because I have had the boat off the lift and on the trailer once in the 18 months we have owned it. Also since I do most of my maintenance with the boat on the lift (exception of prop of course) I have donated quite a few tools to the lake.

Only other consideration that may not be an issue in Texas and since you know the lake would be covered anyway is water levels....haven't seen anyone mention yet perhaps due to locale, but in NC and around Southeast, low water levels due to drought the past few summers have been a significant issue with a few friends of ours unable to use their lake place/boat lift as the water is so low. Good luck....we said when we bought our place that we would have to be prepared to sell when our girls get ready to go to college....man it will be tough if it comes to that...the whole family has loved the place!!
    '06 Mobius LSV

I'm buying my first home, and it's on a medium size lake here in south east Michigan. About a 550 acre lake, 40 mins from Detroit, and about 5 miles from work. I'm excited to keep the boat in the backyard. Always been something I've wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyxc View Post
    I'm buying my first home, and it's on a medium size lake here in south east Michigan. About a 550 acre lake, 40 mins from Detroit, and about 5 miles from work. I'm excited to keep the boat in the backyard. Always been something I've wanted to do.
    1st home and on a lake? Talk about a great "starter home"
    Pics for sure when you get settled!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Yup,

It's one of the upsides living in a very depressed housing market. This home is worth about 150K less than it was a couple year ago, and given that it is an estate sale, I was able to get even more off. Couple that with 4.2% interest rate on it, and I'm thrilled.

I am also proud to say that the purchase of this home is only through my own hard work, and the work ethic instilled by my family. All my money for the downpayment I earned myself!

Just need to save until mid winter for a boat downpayment!
    Last edited by Indyxc; 11-10-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyxc View Post
    can I come ski there with ya?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    can I come ski there with ya?
    Absolutely! Seeing as I want to buy a Mobius LSV or Launch 21v, bring it on over.

In fact I'll even let you keep it in the water, FREE Come drive it anytime you'd like! I'll need the keys though, just in case I need to move it.

again I have to add, how could you go wrong being on the water, it is awesome. full time entertainment. all summer long, swim ski tube fish. lest we forget watching everyone else on the water. true entertainment!!! Fall is beautiful changing colors, docks and boats come out, say goodbye to the trunk slammers for the winter. Trunk slammers are those neighbors who show up late friday night or early sat. morning and open and close their trunks 100++ times as your falling asleep or just waking up. Gotta love'em though, some of the best freinds our family has.

then winter, skating, snowmobiling, fishing. we call it the hard water. our back yard is over 300 acres of the stuff. course we share it with 200 or so of our closest friends.

Then..... SPRING !! and it starts all over again.

beats the blacktop jungle hands down. Too bad god didn't make more waterfront property!!