Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: tow vehilcle

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    I would say go diesel or go home but at least an 8.
    I'd say that too............if money were not an issue. Even a year or 2 used Duramax, Cummings, or Powerstroke will run more than what you are looking to spend now. But You get a whole lot more imo.

My daily driver is a 07 Sierra 2500HD Duramax. Lovit and will never go gas again on tow vehicle for what it's worth.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I only need to pull boat out of low incline ramp, tow it 300 yards to my driveway, maybe 2 miles to Marina , that's it.

I guess I'm trying to get by with as little truck as possible. But like look of a big truck . Chevy looks better. Has that classic pickup look.

Yes, daily commuter. Dealer also has a 4 cyl.2010 Frontier -should I forget the 4 cyl.?

I keep hearing on a truck this size, that you'll use less gas with a 6 or 8 cyl. Than with a 4 or 5cyl.
    Local Marina owner said he pulls boats out with this Chevy and only uses 4 wd when its raining to do it.

I'm leaning with the Silverado , regular cab 6 cyl. I plan on keeping it.

Thanks again, This site is awesome, because I can't get a straight answer from the dealer, they say yes to all your needs . No offense, I know there are plenty honest car salesman but I ran into a couple bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by LSV04 View Post
    I only need to pull boat out of low incline ramp, tow it 300 yards to my driveway, maybe 2 miles to Marina , that's it.

I guess I'm trying to get by with as little truck as possible. But like look of a big truck . Chevy looks better. Has that classic pickup look.

Yes, daily commuter. Dealer also has a 4 cyl.2010 Frontier -should I forget the 4 cyl.?

I keep hearing on a truck this size, that you'll use less gas with a 6 or 8 cyl. Than with a 4 or 5cyl.
    Local Marina owner said he pulls boats out with this Chevy and only uses 4 wd when its raining to do it.

I'm leaning with the Silverado , regular cab 6 cyl. I plan on keeping it.

Thanks again, This site is awesome, because I can't get a straight answer from the dealer, they say yes to all your needs . No offense, I know there are plenty honest car salesman but I ran into a couple bad ones.
    Do you have a family? Reason I ask, is the rest of your crew or family gonna have to ride in a separate car? I wouldn't even consider a 4 cyl truck...that thing will spin tires on a wet ramp.

ya, my buddy has an s-10 and can't pull his 1500lb bayliner up the ramp without losing traction a couple of times.. 4cyl ftl when towing most anything

lsv04-every person's needs are different and you will get varying degrees of answers here, just like a car salesman. we all bought different rigs for different reasons and so will you.
    a car salesman's job is to sell you what they have on the lot. they are going to tell you most anything to make that happen. figure out what you want before and let them guide you into the right price, not the right rig.. there are some excellent opinions on here and use that info to help your decision..

-diesels tow tons. if you don't need it, then you don't, but in a fullsize, anything less than a v8 is crazy(ex inlaws get 21mpg in their 2010 tahoe, so good gas mileage is possible in a lg truck). Ed tows his outback v with his ford ranger with the 4.0liter, so v6 will tow, just not far and def. not up hills. think about your longest trip you will ever take and buy for that.
    -ex/crew cabs are nice for hauling family/crew. only you can make that decision if you want one or not.
    -I started with a ford ranger and the v6. it towed the boat fine a mile from the dealer. after I bought the boat, first time up the hill to the marina, I knew I was selling it for a v8(4mile hill at 25mph and realizing I'd be replacing clutches every year). bought my full size/v8 2 weeks later and never looked back.

good luck.
    Last edited by sandm; 10-29-2010 at 12:15 PM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    ya, my buddy has an s-10 and can't pull his 1500lb bayliner up the ramp without losing traction a couple of times.. 4cyl ftl when towing most anything

lsv04-every person's needs are different and you will get varying degrees of answers here, just like a car salesman. we all bought different rigs for different reasons and so will you.
    a car salesman's job is to sell you what they have on the lot. they are going to tell you most anything to make that happen. figure out what you want before and let them guide you into the right price, not the right rig.. there are some excellent opinions on here and use that info to help your decision..

-diesels tow tons. if you don't need it, then you don't, but in a fullsize, anything less than a v8 is crazy(ex inlaws get 21mpg in their 2010 tahoe, so good gas mileage is possible in a lg truck). Ed tows his outback v with his ford ranger with the 4.0liter, so v6 will tow, just not far and def. not up hills. think about your longest trip you will ever take and buy for that.
    -ex/crew cabs are nice for hauling family/crew. only you can make that decision if you want one or not.
    -I started with a ford ranger and the v6. it towed the boat fine a mile from the dealer. after I bought the boat, first time up the hill to the marina, I knew I was selling it for a v8(4mile hill at 25mph and realizing I'd be replacing clutches every year). bought my full size/v8 2 weeks later and never looked back.

good luck.
    Good points. A couple of us are diehard diesel fans. Buy what you need and can afford obviously. I already had my diesel when I was racing sportbikes throughout Texas and surronding states so pulling a large enclosed trailer with a gas truck was out of the question. I'm also the type of person that I keep my trucks for 9-10 years. My first two were import trucks which can easily go to 300,000 miles...Fords, Chevy, GMC, or Dodge gas trucks won't without major repairs or rebuilds. That's why I got the diesel. It will last a long time and suit my needs of towing occassionally 70 miles one way to my buddy's lakehouse and the dealer. I do like the ability to pass other cars going uphill on highways/interstates while towing though .

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    I do like the ability to pass other cars going uphill on highways/interstates while towing though .
    You don't need a diesel to do that. I can do that in my F150 with a V8 and in the F350 with a V10.

Personally I would go with which ever has the larger cab. It always nice to have more room in the cab for you, your things, or other people.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by thesack View Post
    You don't need a diesel to do that. I can do that in my F150 with a V8 and in the F350 with a V10. .
    V10...never understood the concept of a V10 gas over a diesel in Ford or Dodge. Only pro the V10 has is initial cost for the truck. Cons are plentiful though...less fuel efficiency, not as much torque at low rpm's, hardly any reserve torque for long uphill heavy pulls, needs tune ups, and can't stand up to longevity under severe conditions. I guess cheaper fuel cost vs diesel but with less fuel economy I guess the diesel will equal out. Oil changes are cheaper will gas motors but at 2-3 times the interval so that definately equals out.

there are def. pro's to getting a diesel, and I wish I would have researched the differences better, however the op does not seem to show a need for a diesel. I think we all need to do him a service tho and talk him out of a full size with a v6

don't understand the v10 in a truck either(other than the dodge ram with the viper v10). I have 2 guys I know that have the ford version, both tow heavy trailers with them, and both really like them-at 6mpg.. to each his own...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

The v10 from Ford was changed slightly in 06 or 07 and the fuel economy increased. We get 11 from ours which is an 08. Which is almost the same as the 6.4 diesel. We only pay 500 over invoice of fords so it's really hard to justify switching brands.

For a daily commute truck I don't see anything wrong with the V6. If he was buying it strictly as a tow vehicles then the v8 would make more sense.

Depending on time frame, if I was looking for truck as a daily driver and was considering the v6, I would wait til ford comes out with the new v6 with ecoboost in the f150. It's suppose to be out early this next year and is currently in the tarus sho.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by thesack View Post
    The v10 from Ford was changed slightly in 06 or 07 and the fuel economy increased. We get 11 from ours which is an 08. Which is almost the same as the 6.4 diesel. We only pay 500 over invoice of fords so it's really hard to justify switching brands.

For a daily commute truck I don't see anything wrong with the V6. If he was buying it strictly as a tow vehicles then the v8 would make more sense.

Depending on time frame, if I was looking for truck as a daily driver and was considering the v6, I would wait til ford comes out with the new v6 with ecoboost in the f150. It's suppose to be out early this next year and is currently in the tarus sho.
    So what keeps you wanting a V10 at 11mpg without towing vs a Ford diesel at 16-18mpg with a good programmer (personally I get 19-21mpg in my 5.9L Cummins).