Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: tow vehilcle

We get 11 mpg while towing and 13 when not towing. We originally had the diesel engines that Ford offered starting in 92. We actually had decent MPG then, but with every new truck we got with the diesel the mpg dropped. 92 with the 7.2L was 20mpg, 98 with the 7.3 was 18mpg, 03 with the 6.0 was 17mpg, 06 with the 6.0 was 15 mpg (this was with a programmer was 14 before). With talking to people who owned the 6.4 and the dealership saying that the MPG was 12-13 without towing and some people saying they were getting 8mpg while towing, it made it extremely hard to justify the cost of the diesel. Yes we get new trucks alot, usually when they get between 125-150K miles on them. Which is about 3-4 years.

When we get a new truck again (probably next summer) we will go back to diesel, because the new Ford is getting 20-22mpg for non towing.
    Last edited by thesack; 10-29-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Decided to type on my computer rather then my phone
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by thesack View Post
    T

For a daily commute truck I don't see anything wrong with the V6. If he was buying it strictly as a tow vehicles then the v8 would make more sense.
    don't know how much different your market is in oregon vs. here, but v6 + full size = dust magnet on a carlot. a goodly portion of the dealerships here would have to custom order a v6 as they just don't sell. granted, the op stated they would keep the truck for a while, but the small savings on the sticker would be eaten up with resale.

fuel economy numbers released show the following for 2011 model year for ford, but chevy/dodge are similar(chevy 5.3 actually gets better than the 4.3v6):
    3.7l v6 = 16/23 6000lbs towing(really??)
    5.0l v8 = 15/21 10000 lbs towing
    6.2l v8 = 12/17 11300 lbs towing

why would you even look at the 3.7 other than I would suspect that they are probably discounted higher when on the lot when there is minimal difference in the 5.0 numbers? $125 difference in a year at 10k miles all city...

no figures for the ecoboost v6, but I would bet that it carries a pricetag either same or higher than the v8 initially and mileage won't be that much better..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I just did a quick search on auto trader and I would try and find a nice used full size truck. You can get a nice used truck with more options and very few miles for equal or less than what you are looking at now. I would lean more toward a 4x4 because when you need it you really need it. I bought a 1999 ext cab chevy with the 5.3 2wd and it has ok power but a v6 would suck. I recently pulled my boat back from the lake and it just started to rain. I have to go up some big hills to get my boat out of the marina area. I was going 50mph and the tires broke loose and slid sideways a little. I really wanted 4wd then. I did not think I would make it up the hill by the time I reached the top I was going 15mph down from 50mph. Sucked big time!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1288399998005

I never said I would look at the 3.7, I said I would look at the V6 with the Ecoboost. The 3.7 is crappy. The 3.5 with Ecoboost is capable of towing 11300. The fuel economy numbers I have not seen yet but if you look at the Taurus Sho is saying it is 17/25.

If you look at the cost between the V6 and V8 for Chevy is 1745. If you look up the value difference of an 05 1500 base model with the V8 and the V6, the V6 is 1100 less in price. So the cost of the V8 at 1745 minus the value loss of 1100 gives you a profit of 645. Resale really isn't affected that much.

I have no idea if the V6's are discounted more or not, I would suspect that they are not. For me the discounted pricing on the vehicle doesn't matter. I pay 500 over invoice then subtract rebates on any new vehicle I purchase from my dealership.

I have not looked on the lots recently here at F150's so I do not know what the percentage of V6 vs V8's are there, but in 09 when I got my truck the dealerships all had at least 1 truck with the V6 in it.

When i said that i see nothing wrong with a V6 I didn't know that Chevys only got 15/18. For a Chevy yeah I would go with the V8, Ford I would wait and look at the Ecoboost V6.
    Nate

Smile

Here in Calgary Alberta ,we consider this the land of Trucks as the average household usually has one truck/Suv outta average two vehicle family.
    As mentioned above V6 in a full size would usually be special order only as resale would be poor and average mileage would suck.
    Something else about trucks here is it would be hard to find a non4x4 truck. Our weather conditions seldom truely justify it ,but it is definetely a plus for deep snow and for those moments at truck ramps etc,which makes it an easy sell here.
    I believe it may even be a bit of status symbol as well to see and or drive in a Badass 4x4 with or without diesel.
    We have an image here of living in the wild west where ,wearing cowboy boots almost anytime is acceptable as is driving a 4x4 truck yet this is one of the more high tech city's in all the land.Bigger is better just like in Texas.
    07 Outback DD

Quote Originally Posted by LSV04 View Post
    I only need to pull boat out of low incline ramp, tow it 300 yards to my driveway, maybe 2 miles to Marina , that's it.

I guess I'm trying to get by with as little truck as possible. But like look of a big truck . Chevy looks better. Has that classic pickup look.

Yes, daily commuter. Dealer also has a 4 cyl.2010 Frontier -should I forget the 4 cyl.?

I keep hearing on a truck this size, that you'll use less gas with a 6 or 8 cyl. Than with a 4 or 5cyl.
    Local Marina owner said he pulls boats out with this Chevy and only uses 4 wd when its raining to do it.

I'm leaning with the Silverado , regular cab 6 cyl. I plan on keeping it.

Thanks again, This site is awesome, because I can't get a straight answer from the dealer, they say yes to all your needs . No offense, I know there are plenty honest car salesman but I ran into a couple bad ones.
    I tow my 08 OBV which I think is the size of your boat with my 07 Frontier 4x4 crew cab V6. This truck will definitely meet your requirements- it doesn't sound like you're going to be towing your boat up mount everest or hooking up a 5th wheel after you leave the ramp. Seriously, with the limited towing you're doing you could use a lot of tow vehicles. It sounds like you'll be using your truck mostly for commuting and a very small percentage of time will be used towing- so my advice would be choose the truck that you like most for commuting. If you have any specific questions about the Frontier let me know- I've been very happy with mine.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Quote Originally Posted by thesack View Post
    Depending on time frame, if I was looking for truck as a daily driver and was considering the v6, I would wait til ford comes out with the new v6 with ecoboost in the f150. It's suppose to be out early this next year and is currently in the tarus sho.
    I recommended the same thing in the previous thread. This engine should be much more adaptable to different conditions (very efficient when unloaded, still responsive when loaded). It has already been proven in the open market in other vehicles, though not in a truck yet. Here is the start of Ford's series of "Torture Test" videos: http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

I also think that the price on that bare-bones Silverado is too high. It's a comparatively inexpensive vehicle to make. I expect that the markup is pretty high for it, as it is for many trucks.

The questions about being a people-mover are also relevant. If LSV04 doesn't need to frequently haul long loads, a short-box extended cab configuration is going to be more useful overall. For the occasional long (but not too heavy) load, an extender such as the Lund Hitch Rack can be used.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

it will be interesting to see that ecoboost and how it fits in the ford lineup pricewise. it looks to be a very good motor, but I would bet it'll carry a premium over the v8's at first, which could adversely affect it's initial acceptance. It's getting rave reviews in the taurus sho, but look at the price.. low 20's for a base taurus and a tad south of 40g's for the sho. imo, those are 2 completely different customers.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by LSV04 View Post
    Hey
    Finally narrowed it down
    2011 Small Silverado basically just a steering wheel. 21900
    or
    Nissan Frontier 2010 leftover 22000
    Loaded truck

Chevy or Nissan?

Do you think the Silverado 6 cyl is horrible on gas ?

Any help appreciated, I'm buying Saturday.
    Thanks.
    Decided to browse through some of the ads today. Saw that a local dealer is selling the base 2011 Silverado at 18,990 (dealer discount of 1245 and factory rebate of 2000). Didn't see an ad for Frontiers. I doubt there there is much markup on the base model over invoice, but this might help you get a better deal. I know that typically you can get a better deal on a vehicle that has more on it then a base model because there is room to discount it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    it will be interesting to see that ecoboost and how it fits in the ford lineup pricewise. it looks to be a very good motor, but I would bet it'll carry a premium over the v8's at first, which could adversely affect it's initial acceptance. It's getting rave reviews in the taurus sho, but look at the price.. low 20's for a base taurus and a tad south of 40g's for the sho. imo, those are 2 completely different customers.
    I would probably guess that the V6 Ecoboost will run between the up charge cost of the 5.0V8 ($1000) and 6.2V8 (2560). But it is also suppose to out perform the 5.0V8. The justification for the up charge is probably there. I haven't talked to my dealer about the Ecoboost engine to see which models it will be available in, but I would hope that Ford will offer it through out the F150 line up just like the 5.0V8 is. Where as in the Taurus line up it is only available in the Sho, which is a fully loaded model.
    Nate

I test drove a Flex with the V6 Ecoboost- it ran smoothly and fast. I know they say they've put that engine through extremes in a lab but I'll be interested to see how it holds up to real world conditions in a truck.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float