Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Issues with Windshield replacement at dealer

I am having the whole windshield on my 06 LS replaced at the local dealer. I was quoted about $1800 for the job, insurance covered it so it wasn’t a big deal. I just got a call from the dealer saying that it’s going to cost an additional $660 because the windshield they ordered doesn’t fit the same and they will have to fill the original mounting holes (about 7hrs of additional labor) he said it’s abou 3/4 inches off (without seeing in person I really don’t know what that means). $2500 for a windshield is starting to sound a little crazy.
    To me it sounds like the wrong windshield was ordered and they are just trying to “make it work”. I already received my insurance check and the claim has been closed, but that is kind of besides the point, I want to proper windshield installed and not something rigged to work. Any advice? They may start the work tomorrow or next Tuesday. Should I call them back and tell them not to do it? I just can’t imagine they can’t get the correct windshield for my boat, it’s not that old. Thanks
    Jeremy
    06 Mobius LS

Call your adjuster and explain the details and they can get another estimate from the shop and cut another check. I just had my trailer fender fixed where someone ran into it and it was $1500. The opposite happened to me where they were able to repair the fender rather than cutting it out so I pocketed $500. The problem I had was the cost to fix the trailer was getting close to the value of the trailer.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
    I am having the whole windshield on my 06 LS replaced at the local dealer. I was quoted about $1800 for the job, insurance covered it so it wasn’t a big deal. I just got a call from the dealer saying that it’s going to cost an additional $660 because the windshield they ordered doesn’t fit the same and they will have to fill the original mounting holes (about 7hrs of additional labor) he said it’s abou 3/4 inches off (without seeing in person I really don’t know what that means). $2500 for a windshield is starting to sound a little crazy.
    To me it sounds like the wrong windshield was ordered and they are just trying to “make it work”. I already received my insurance check and the claim has been closed, but that is kind of besides the point, I want to proper windshield installed and not something rigged to work. Any advice? They may start the work tomorrow or next Tuesday. Should I call them back and tell them not to do it? I just can’t imagine they can’t get the correct windshield for my boat, it’s not that old. Thanks
    Sounds to me like they ordered the wrong windshield (or were sent the wrong one) and they are trying to make you pay for someone else's mistake. I would definitely insist that they send the windshield back and get the right one.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Insist on getting the correct windshield ordered.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Yup. Don't worry about missing a few weekends this time of year. Get it right. Call the adjuster and tell them not to pay anything-- or to tell the dealer they aren't going to pay till it's right.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I called the dealer back to question wether or not the correct windshield was ordered. He told me it is the correct windshield but when they make the windshield the mounting holes are not always in the same spot and when mounting the windshield it has to be tweaked to get all pieces to line up right and for the walk through window to close properly and it's not the same for every boat. I know windshield replacement probably isn't a very common repair so maybe this is all true, I just don't know where to go from here, as of now, the windshield they have I going to be installed.
    Last edited by Muzzy; 10-29-2010 at 10:04 AM.
    Jeremy
    06 Mobius LS

That sounds like bull$hit. I would be irate. Tell em to keep it and go somewhere else.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Ya, I will be calling Skiers Choice first thing Monday and if needed another dealer, the more and more I think about this, it just doesn't feel right.
    The only thing I could see them having to do it like this is if they can no longer get the proper windshield, I originally tried getting the glass directly through Taylor Made but they told me they no longer have the molds for that glass. But if I find out SC can get me the proper windshield without having to drill new holes, this dealer will have lost a customer, I'll drive another 160 miles to a more reputable Moomba dealer.
    Jeremy
    06 Mobius LS

it is very possible that this story is true about the holes not lining up. it very well have could be when going down the assembly line that the holes are drilled thru the windshield frame and deck at the same time----maybe

disclamer: pwi
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    it is very possible that this story is true about the holes not lining up. it very well have could be when going down the assembly line that the holes are drilled thru the windshield frame and deck at the same time----maybe

disclamer: pwi
    But even still the new oem windshield with new holes would cover up the old ones , so just a little silicone to seal them would be all that would be needed
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug