Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1st Time Winterizer

OK -
    So I took on the task of winterizing myself this year. I've already flushed the engine with anti-freeze, changed out the oil and filter, changed out the tranny fluid, & fogged the cylinders. It's pretty straight forward......So I thought. But as I'm into it I've uncovered some issues (or at least some questions).

1.) I pushed on the throttle body to fog the intake and engine rev'd and the red engine light kicked on. I threw this up on another thread and solution might have to wait till spring since I've already winterized. Hope disconnecting the batts over the winter will solve it or I'll have to make a trip to the dealer (3hrs one way) to get the code cleared first of the season.

2.) Pulled the floor to check alignment (still on the list of to do's) and I see anti-freeze leaking from somewhere. As I further inspected I found it to be coming from the mufflers? This should NOT be should it? Boat is only 3 years old with 182hrs. I don't see anywhere to drain the mufflers of any fluids? Could this be from freeze damage? ATTACHED PICTURE

3.) A couple of Zip Ties were broke holding the blower vent hose so I re-enforced the hose to ensure I didn't end up with a transmission problem like Waynes345 and have wire wrapped up all over the shaft.

4.) Planning on cleaning out the bilge area when I'm all done. What works the best? Do you do it in spring or before storing? I was thinking of spraying it out with water and a bit of dish soap and seems to make more sense to do it in the spring? Just cautious about putting and raw water anywhere in the boat at this time of year!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Default Muffler

Viking, from the looks of it there is a crack on the back side of the muffler and most likely on the radiused transition from the inlet end to the body (thinnest part). As easy as it appears to take out the muffler, me personally I would be all over it. Gotta love a DD to be able to work on it! There are two drains on my V drive mufflers (outboard/bottom) both sides but I have never gotten out more than teaspoon or 2 of water when I winterize. I would pull it and fix it myself with bondo and repaint it until I had another issue with it, which I doubt you ever would.
    2006 Moomba OBV-"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you".

I haven't taken the UltraMarine Silencers off yet but looking at them they are BOTH leaking on the engine side of the silencers where they diameter of the muffler widens. Looks like they are both cracked and flaking off there. How long should they last? Seems to me that 3 or 4 seasons is a little premature for failure?

Should I use OEM replacements or is there something better out there?

And is there any way to drain the muffler/silencers in a DD for the winter?

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

viking - Not good. There should be no leak of any kind. The little bit present could end up being a big problem if not addressed. Maybe take it to your dealer? I pulled the floor and inspected the mufflers on my '07 Outback. Completely dry and nothing wrong. Please keep us posted. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I noticed mine leaking where the muffler meets the transom. There is a hose clamp over that area, so I figured it just needs to be tightened. I didn't do anything about it. The rate of flow is a trickle, so I'm not too concerned about it.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

I pushed on the throttle body to fog the intake and engine rev'd and the red engine light kicked on. I threw this up on another thread and solution might have to wait till spring since I've already winterized. Hope disconnecting the batts over the winter will solve it or I'll have to make a trip to the dealer (3hrs one way) to get the code cleared first of the season.

You sprayed the fogging oil directly into the intake? I was under the impression that these were DRY intakes and you were not suppose to do that. Can someone clarify?
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

if you have the non-extcat motors, then you should fog the intake. if you have the ext-cat catalyst system, then you should not fog the intake..

it's in the indmar winterization faq's on their website.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Exactly as SandM indicated. And my boat is not Catalytic exhaust so it is ok to fog through TB. I never did get it done though as I tripped the code and decided against it. Did fog through spark plug holes though.

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

your perfectly fine fogging thru the spark plug holes on any engine, its just easier to fog thru the TB on non cat engines, not necessarily better tho
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Pulled the port side muffler tonight to confirm leakage and this is what I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsjylR0BayI

Looks to be a hairline crack right where I anticipated. I'm certain the starboard side is the same. Only think I can figure is freeze damage from water sitting in muffler?? Why isn't there a way to drain these on DD's?

2nd thought...........Previous owner had dealer service it and so did I until this year and they use anti-freeze method to winterize?

Going to call UltraMarine to see what they say. I guess I need to try my hand at glasswork

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"