Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Green Swimming Lizards of Lake Seminole

Once we went skiing in Lake Seminole which boarders Georgia and Florida. After seeing 5 alligators in a couple of hours we decided not to boat there anymore. One was a monster and it was sitting about 15 feet away from the boat while we were changing skiers. I screamed, everyone in the boat NOW!!!
    I am pretty sure this is the same one!

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=25...=articleimages

that would be a quick way to ruin the day..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Cool

Holy crap! When i was down in the summer skiing with Chris Parrish i told him of my fears of your little green lizzards and he just laughed. He told me i should be more worried about the Cotton Mouth snakes that were likely in the grass right beside the dock i was standing on,Which i promptly got way the hell away from.
    Now i know my fears were not just in my imagination.???
    I did Love Florida and would come back in a Heart beat ,just the same.
    I believe,i could do it ,Lizzards and all.LOL
    07 Outback DD

Dang, Mike. That picture just made me hungry. Fair's fair, right? There's something indescribably satisfying about taking a bite of gator.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

WOW, did they get that out of the flint?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

It came from Lake Seminole-- the Chatahoochee and Flint run together from differrent directions to form Lake Seminole above the Chatahoochee Dam. That thing would have been about 50 years old.
    Last edited by kaneboats; 10-22-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    WOW, did they get that out of the flint?
    No it came from Lake Seminole which is like Kaneboats said fed by the Flint and the Chatahoochee. I have been on both rivers and the lake. There are houses and industry on the Flint and I have never seen an alligator there. However that doesn't mean they aren't there they are most likey avoiding humans. However the Chatahoochee which is a much bigger river has no houses on it and it is in the wilderness. I see alligators on that river everytime I am on it (they are NOT shy there!).
    I have been told by people who live in that area that there are monsters in the Chatahoochee and Lake Seminole. This article just proved what my wife and I already know. That is also one reason we like to kayak on the Chatahoochee, we get to go gator watching. Of course I do carry a firearm with me everytime, tied to a lanyard which is attached to my body. Just in Case!
    And Kaneboats is correct gator does taste Good! Next time anyone is in the area out eating at the local fish houses order some Gator Nuggets! Ummmmm...good! And by looking at the picture of the one that was hunted I would say that there should be a good supply of Gator Nuggets in the area for a few months!

i'll pass on th skiing with the lizards.....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Holy crap! When i was down in the summer skiing with Chris Parrish i told him of my fears of your little green lizzards and he just laughed. He told me i should be more worried about the Cotton Mouth snakes that were likely in the grass right beside the dock i was standing on,Which i promptly got way the hell away from.
    Now i know my fears were not just in my imagination.???
    I did Love Florida and would come back in a Heart beat ,just the same.
    I believe,i could do it ,Lizzards and all.LOL
    Well to be honest we have a couple of pet snakes at home (Ball Pythons) and we often catch or observe snakes in the yard and even go snake hunting. I can say I have only ever seen one Cottonmouth/Water Moccasin (same snake, different names due to locations). I have seen many Copper Heads, Timber Rattlers and Diamond Backs. So my point here is I have seen Many more alligators than I have that snake. But almost ALL water snakes are aggressive in nature and that one is one to leave alone as it does have a reputation as being the most aggressive Pit Viper we have in the USA. Unlike an alligator or most other snakes that almost aways moves away from humans when spotted a Cotton Mouth will hold its ground!

That gator actually came out of the area where the two rivers meet near the dam. That area is considered Lake Seminole but is quite a ways from any area where people ski. There are many small islands out there where alot of gators live. There is too much traffic for most of them where the watersports are. Never had a problem is 34 years.
    2001 Outback LS

" Son, I'm Captain Jack Sparrow "