Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Winterized

Default All Winterized

Well, I winterized by boat over the weekend so I'm done for the season. I sucked out and changed all the fluids - engine, tranny, and v-drive - after running the boat on the river for 15 minutes to get everything nice and hot. Drained all the water out of the block and hoses, blew out the heater hoses, and fogged the engine.

Also removed the impeller - took me all of three minutes and that includes removing the 4 screws and cover! Got two seasons out of it now and still looks new. Coated it in Vaseline and put it in a ziploc bag. I may try to get a third season out of it. Spark plugs still look good so I put them back in.

Now the long wait for spring begins but will have snowboarding and skiing to keep me occupied

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I'm in the same boat (so to speak) Al. Got my baby all winterized this past weekend. I hope to wash/wax before she goes away, since it sits in a barn all winter, just makes me feel better. But the weather is going south fast, so, might not get it taken care of. I'm glad that I had more time this year to winterize, because I found loose bolts at the v-drive/prop shaft coupling. Something that I'm glad I found when it was on the trailer... not after they fell out on the water!

Good thing the snow is coming soon... I need another hobbie to keep me busy and out of my wife's hair!!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    I'm glad that I had more time this year to winterize, because I found loose bolts at the v-drive/prop shaft coupling. Something that I'm glad I found when it was on the trailer... not after they fell out on the water!
    I'll have to check those on mine. I usually go thru the whole boat as part of my summerization routine and check/tighten all fasteners.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

sounds like that is an issue many are finding. I'm with cab, in that there are a bunch to check in the spring. did check my bunks this fall. been a year and found 5 more that were loose.. don't forget them.
    doing tower pads as well next year.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Cool

Regretably i put mine away this past weekend as well,which really sucks as our weather is not too bad right now.
    While removing my impellor this time i had a very difficult time getting it out ,then RIP tore a vein so from that point on just ripped it out. I do have a spare and i have a brand new one ,which will go in in spring ,so all is good. Where was this weather a month ago when people were still kinda willing to go out?
    07 Outback DD

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Regretably i put mine away this past weekend as well,which really sucks as our weather is not too bad right now.
    While removing my impellor this time i had a very difficult time getting it out ,then RIP tore a vein so from that point on just ripped it out. I do have a spare and i have a brand new one ,which will go in in spring ,so all is good. Where was this weather a month ago when people were still kinda willing to go out?
    Mikey,

I use needle nose vise grips and put one jaw in the middle of the impeller and the other between two vanes, then clamp down lightly and pull it out. This way, you never touch the vanes. Should be especially ease on a DD

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al,

Brilliant minds must think alike. I also winterized my baby this last weekend. Feels good to have it done since this week the overnight lows have been dropping into the mid 30’s. Guess it is a sign summer is over. Well we really did not have a summer in Oregon this year.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Also removed the impeller - took me all of three minutes and that includes removing the 4 screws and cover! Got two seasons out of it now and still looks new. Coated it in Vaseline and put it in a ziploc bag.
    Thanks for the reminder that I wanted to do the winterisation myself this year. I was about the make the phone call for some expensive service and then realised that I am not under some crushing work schedule for once.

Isn't the impeller made of a rubber compound? If so, Vaseline would make it deteriorate.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Ian, it does list to store the impeller in a ziploc bag with vaseline. Not sure what effects that will have, but if indmar says..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

started mine Tuesday evening, going to clean it up really good tonight, and finish the engine Sat. morning...
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)