Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All Winterized

I think the whole Impellar coated with Vaseline has been a topic discussed here several times. It seems strange to me that they'd recommend coating it in anything, since a new impellar comes dry in the package (at least mine did). It also came with a small tube of Glycerine to coat priot to installation. I just figure if it comes to me dry, why do I need to coat it over the winter? I suppose I could see a potential need for a sort of freeze protection, but other than that, I don't see a benefit.

My old impellar has been sitting on my workbench all summer, and looks exactly the same as it did when I took it out. Just seems odd to me to coat it with anything.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Isn't the impeller made of a rubber compound? If so, Vaseline would make it deteriorate.
    Yes, the impeller is rubber. I have heard this said before too, that Vaseline deteriorates rubber, but it says in the manual to coat with Vaseline and put in a ziploc bag so that's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    Ian, it does list to store the impeller in a ziploc bag with vaseline. Not sure what effects that will have, but if indmar says..
    That's what I figured as well ...

Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    I think the whole Impellar coated with Vaseline has been a topic discussed here several times. It seems strange to me that they'd recommend coating it in anything, since a new impellar comes dry in the package (at least mine did). It also came with a small tube of Glycerine to coat priot to installation. I just figure if it comes to me dry, why do I need to coat it over the winter? I suppose I could see a potential need for a sort of freeze protection, but other than that, I don't see a benefit.

My old impellar has been sitting on my workbench all summer, and looks exactly the same as it did when I took it out. Just seems odd to me to coat it with anything.
    I think coating it in Vaseline keeps the rubber from drying out and keeps it flexible. You are right, the new impeller's don't have an apparent coating on them but my guess is that they spray it with a different coating, one that we can't easily detect.

Everyone should do what they are comfortable doing. I stored this impeller coated in Vaseline last winter, just got my second season out of it and it still looks brand new and the vanes are still flexible, so I am going to store it coated in Vaseline again this winter and run it a third season.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Smile

Cab i totally agree with using needlenose pliers etc to get the impeller out but i got lazy and since i had a brand new one still in pakage i took a chance using a screw driver and regular pliers and ripped it up. I normally do as others are talking about and save my impeller which this one was on year 2 anyways. I think the vaseline is as mentioned to keep it from drying out after being wet for so long ,in the open air it would dry out/crack/rot.etc. That is how i've done it before,with great results,now its time to clean wetsuits and vests etc. I usually soak them in warm water and wetsuit conditioner and air dry thoroughly and treat zippers etc as well then hang dry so no mould etc.
    07 Outback DD

So curiosity killed the cat. I got ahold of Johnson Pump to ask about the Impeller and vaseline issue. Here is what I heard back from their engineering department:

Just put the impeller in a tight plastic bag (black is best) store the impeller in a dark and cool place, as the impeller materials can be effected by UV. The Impeller doesn't need to be lubricatded during the storage, but it's good to lubricate the impeller at re-assembley.
    As lubricant we reccomend our own "Impeller lubricant" but also soft soap is good.

Glycerine is ok for Neoprene (Dupont: Chloroprene) but not for MC97.
    Therefore, and as rule of thumb, I only reccomend to use our Impellerlubricant. "

One guy came back and said they do not recommend Vaseline, but, I think Cab is probably right, whatever you are comfortable with is what you should do!

Just some information as I know you were all dying to know!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Why not just get a new impeller each season if you're going to winterize yourself? It's not expensive and takes out the guess work (if it concerns you).

That is exactly what I personally do, but for others, I thought this might be interesting.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.