Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default More Bad News from the dealer service writer

So I drop my boat off at the dealership to get winterized and oil changed ('05 outback) and had an incident with hitting my prop while pulling my boat out for the season.

The service writer just calls me to sell me the Prop need to be replaced and there is no way anyone will be able to repair it, he also goes on to tell me that the strut is bent and that those can not be repaired only replaced.

So now I am looking at a $995 bill for new acme prop and new strut with installation.

This boat thing is getting silly.

Ahhh the joys of being a "BOAT" owner...... you know how the saying goes
    BOAT stands for bust our another thousand!!!!

Chris

that sucks, what boat do you have? hopefully your shaft isn't bent. that means you hit your strut as well?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

[QUOTE=ducatichris;116852]This boat thing is getting silly./QUOTE]

Funny, since 1998 I have purchased 1 battery, 1 starter, 5 impellers, 1 rotor cap/plug wires,oil/filters, and general purpose lube. A total of about $600-800 in 12 years on maintenance repairs. Maybe I am lucky or maybe many of you are unlucky.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

its a 2005 Outback.
    Says the shaft isn't bent. The thing that I'm frustrated about is that I never hit the strut just the dump prop on the cement block my neighbor leaves in the lake to secure his swim platform with.

Oh well.

[quote=maxpower220;116855]
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatichris View Post
    This boat thing is getting silly./QUOTE]

Funny, since 1998 I have purchased 1 battery, 1 starter, 5 impellers, 1 rotor cap/plug wires,oil/filters, and general purpose lube. A total of about $600-800 in 12 years on maintenance repairs. Maybe I am lucky or maybe many of you are unlucky.
    Since 1989 one battery, 5 impellers, one battery,one ballast pump, one v belt, one temperature guage, one mdc control unit, 2 fuel/water filters, many oil filters and oil and lube and wax.... oops forgot the 3 dozen spark plugs
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 10-19-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

its a 2005 Outback.
    Says the shaft isn't bent. The thing that I'm frustrated about is that I never hit the strut just the dump prop on the cement block my neighbor leaves in the lake to secure his swim platform with.

Oh well.
    like to know how you can bend the strut without bending the shaft or coupler, the alignment has to be out if the strut is bent, and if its still tight on the coupler ....well you better loosen it cause the stress at the vdrive propshaft coupler is not good for your vdrive shaft bearings oops transmission shaft bearings
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

I find it hard to believe your prop cannot be repaired. I have had chunks taken out of my prop in the past and they repaired it. And it cost me less than 100 dollars per prop.

I once ran over a sunken Navigation Pole on the Appalacha River, it went between both props (dual outboards). I was missing parts of the blades. For less than 200 dollars I got the props repaired and you couldn't even tell where they repaired them. I have taken my MasterCraft prop there several times (cypress stumps) and they repaired it for around 90.00 dollars.
    At the least I would let them repair the strut but you should be able to purchase a new prop for less than what the dealer will charge you or call this number.

Marine Wheels Inc. 850-265-0095
    This place repairs thousands of props a year, and keep in mind I live in a Salt Water Fishing Town. I have seen a pair of props leave there in the back of a Ford F-350 dually and the truck was sagging due to the weight of those monsters. When I bring in my little 13 x 13 it is usually one of the smallest props in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    like to know how you can bend the strut without bending the shaft or coupler, the alignment has to be out if the strut is bent, and if its still tight on the coupler ....well you better loosen it cause the stress at the vdrive propshaft coupler is not good for your vdrive shaft bearings oops transmission shaft bearings
    I totally agree with you on this! Right now I don't have a warm and fuzzy with this dealer.

[QUOTE=maxpower220;116855]
    This boat thing is getting silly./QUOTE]

Or maybe you do the work yourself like I do and realize that dealers do a lot of work that really isn't needed.
    Since I bought my 2008 LS I have only bought oil and oil filters.
    Unfortunately not everone is mechanically inclined and is at the mercy of the "Experts". I feel really bad for the blonde women!

some pics would be nice
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug