Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Boat = fiberglass hole in lake that you pour money into....
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    I find it hard to believe your prop cannot be repaired. I have had chunks taken out of my prop in the past and they repaired it. And it cost me less than 100 dollars per prop.

I once ran over a sunken Navigation Pole on the Appalacha River, it went between both props (dual outboards). I was missing parts of the blades. For less than 200 dollars I got the props repaired and you couldn't even tell where they repaired them.[...]
    That sounds about right for aluminum props. Were they? Bronze is much harder and more expensive to repair, and less likely to have a good job done. Another Moomba owner near me just went through this. I ended up lending him my old prop until he found a better full replacement.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    That sounds about right for aluminum props. Were they? Bronze is much harder and more expensive to repair, and less likely to have a good job done. Another Moomba owner near me just went through this. I ended up lending him my old prop until he found a better full replacement.
    Ian,
    I have never owned an aluminum prop. My old MC prop was repaired so many times it had scars from brazing. My outboard props that were missing chunks were Stainless Steel. Unless a complete blade is missing I think they can be repaired.

I would second the repair prop option over replacement. most dealers don't make a nickel on a repaired prop since they have it sent out, so I can understand the push to sell you a new prop.

mine was only $85 to get repaired.

I'd pull the prop and let the dealer do all the other work. get the prop done yourself and put it back on. that's a walk in the park..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    like to know how you can bend the strut without bending the shaft or coupler, the alignment has to be out if the strut is bent, and if its still tight on the coupler ....well you better loosen it cause the stress at the vdrive propshaft coupler is not good for your vdrive shaft bearings oops transmission shaft bearings

we have a hackercraft that i rolled over a rock with, bent strut, rolled up prop and bend rudder.... While the ticket was ridiculous there was no mention of shaft alignment on the bill either... that sounds fishy now that you mention it....

if I were the OP I would mark the strut and tell the dealer you want the old one back when its replaced.....

With the Prop - what brand? If it's OJ i know they repair them at the factory. You can just send it out to them and they'll fix and return. Would have been cheaper for me to do that than use the local guy (I learned my lesson).

I'm not sure but I'd venture to say that the other manufacturers do the same?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

In the inboard world there are two materials used for props, stainless and Nibral, a metal alloy made from nickel, bronze and aluminum. All modern wakeboat props are made from Nibral. Yes you could get a stainless if you wanted but mfgrs won't use them due to cost and the repair factor if you hit your prop. Nibral props can be repaired as said short of a blade missing so do not let anyone tell you they cannot be repaired. Contact the mfgr or a local prop repair facility and have it fixed.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    call this number.
    Marine Wheels Inc. 850-265-0095
    This place repairs thousands of props a year
    They just did mine. It was about $85 plus shipping. Fantastic job and they give you a report that shows how it balanced before and after. Nice!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    They just did mine. It was about $85 plus shipping. Fantastic job and they give you a report that shows how it balanced before and after. Nice!
    They have a profile machine that traces the profile of the props, this way they make sure they are even better than when they leave the original factory.
    On my Stainless Steel props I noticed that both engines where perfectly still while in gear they had them so perfectly balanced. Before I damaged them they would vibrate and move around a little bit. Yes they do great work at a great price.

Default NEW UPDATE---This gets good

So service manager calls me and says... "I have more good news for you"

Your shaft is bent new one installed (parts and labor) $438

We also found that your rudder and rudder port is bent new one installed (parts and labor) $578.45

WTF!!!!
    no physical signs of contact on my rudder and he says its bent.
    While performing a steering test it binds on 1/3 turn to right and same to left.

I can't believe I hit something that hard with my prop and did SO much damage. (need I remind you that I was at best 1/8 throttle in gear) less than 10 mph!

I guess that is what insurance is for right