Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    Contact John Buescher at Skiers Choice ([email protected]). He can pull up the schematics and tell you right where to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Jeepers, I did email John but have not heard back. I finally bit the bullet and drilled a hole at the bottom of the ice chest and water immediatly started coming out. I drilled a 5/8" hole and bought a 5/8"drain plug to go in it after. I used a shop vac and got over 5 gallons of water. No more sloshing of water when I wiggle the boat. I am not sure why SC or the service dept were'nt able to suggest doing this??? Will just have to check it once or twice a summer.
    2006 Moomba Outback

Quote Originally Posted by dkremp View Post
    Thanks Jeepers, I did email John but have not heard back. I finally bit the bullet and drilled a hole at the bottom of the ice chest and water immediatly started coming out. I drilled a 5/8" hole and bought a 5/8"drain plug to go in it after. I used a shop vac and got over 5 gallons of water. No more sloshing of water when I wiggle the boat. I am not sure why SC or the service dept were'nt able to suggest doing this??? Will just have to check it once or twice a summer.
    It's a little scary the first time you pull that much water out. There's probably 10-15 more gallons in there. That's why removing the foam and creating a low spot is so important. All the water begin leaching out of the foam and you'll see it's full every morning.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

The DD might be a bit different. I did look the next morning and could only get about a 1/4 cup of water and it is defentily the lowest point of the boat the way it is tilted right now. I am glad I got it out before the -40 temps hit.
    2006 Moomba Outback

Quote Originally Posted by dkremp View Post
    The DD might be a bit different. I did look the next morning and could only get about a 1/4 cup of water and it is defentily the lowest point of the boat the way it is tilted right now. I am glad I got it out before the -40 temps hit.
    I forgot you were DD. Try lowering the bow as low as it will go for a day, vacuum then raise the nose, vacuum. This made a big difference. Sounds like you got most of the water out though.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

You can add me to the list.... apparently the problem wasn't fixed for the 09+ boats. I finally got my center bag out and the locker dried out... remembered this thread and I thought I'd give it the squishy step test. sure enough heard the water sloshing around under there.

I had a spare 5" water tight inspection plate so I thought I might as well get this project done before winter.

I eyeballed from outside the boat about where the lowest part of the bow keel was and stuck a piece of tape on the windshield so I could find it from inside.
    Started drilling and sure enough water started coming up out of the pilot hole:

Kept cutting and removed the center and found a couple inches of water standing on top of the foam:

Sucked that water out with a shop vac and started removing foam:

Once the foam was all out I again sucked the rest of the water out

Surprisingly the foam itself seemed pretty dry except the top 1/4" or so and right along the bottom keel about a 1/4" up.

Here's a test fit for the plate:

And the finished project. I siliconed under the lip of the plate and put a dab in each screw hole before attaching with stainless screws:

Definitely have piece of mind now knowing I can suck this out anytime and make sure it's dry before the winter freeze. I sucked out about 2 gallons of pretty clean water without any oil residue.
    Last edited by Tylerrnemt; 10-28-2017 at 01:20 PM.

2012 Mobius LSV (Sold)
    2020 Mojo

I wanted to keep this thread alive since there is so much good information here. I just recently bought a Supra Sunsport 24v with the playpen option. I stood in the front ballast compartment and I saw water seep through a weak area where the manufacture injected foam. I cut a hole to add a deck plate like the others did here. I filled up a shop vac full of water so far.

7CDE0E1A-940E-470F-A5B6-52FCE79FB21F.jpg01AED654-2C3C-439E-B164-E96ABEBB01C9.jpg

I just read this WHOLE thread. Thank you for keeping it alive as there is a lot of great info here. I'm in a far worse place than what I'm reading here and deciding how I'm going to proceed. Water stuck in between foam sounds easy. Mine sat so long in the water and other issues that my Stringers have apparently come loose. I was hoping someone here had cut into the modular inlay, but it looks like I'm going in blind. SC is not going to fix it at this point and have pretty much blown me off. Once I get this fixed I can't see buying another boat from SC ever again. They left me hangin and I've owned 3 of their boats over the years. If anyone has advice before I started cutting down into my hull, I would sure appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by StapleHawk View Post
    I just read this WHOLE thread. Thank you for keeping it alive as there is a lot of great info here. I'm in a far worse place than what I'm reading here and deciding how I'm going to proceed. Water stuck in between foam sounds easy. Mine sat so long in the water and other issues that my Stringers have apparently come loose. I was hoping someone here had cut into the modular inlay, but it looks like I'm going in blind. SC is not going to fix it at this point and have pretty much blown me off. Once I get this fixed I can't see buying another boat from SC ever again. They left me hangin and I've owned 3 of their boats over the years. If anyone has advice before I started cutting down into my hull, I would sure appreciate it.
    What year and model is your boat? How did you determine you had stringer issues?

Of all the people that had issues, you are the first to do more than add drain holes. Tell us how it goes. Fifteen years later the subject comes back. Besta luck.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinesurgeon View Post
    What year and model is your boat? How did you determine you had stringer issues?

It was diagnosed by a pretty well known boat fiberglass repairmen in our area. I have the 06 Moomba XLV gravity.