Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

I've had a lot of water in my ski locker in the past due to a leaky shaft seal and a leak in my fill hose. I've fixed the fill hose leak and I am going to fix the leaky shaft seal this winter. Then I am going to install a plug in the ski locker drain (to prevent any water to drain into the ski locker from the bilge area) and try to keep it dry. I hardly ever take any water over the bow so that's not a problem.

Hopefully, this will keep the area under the ski locker from filling again.

I still plan to drill a 4" access hole and suck the water out.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Maybe this flaw/shortcut in unfinished hull design is part of "price point" wake boats? Moomba will not be my next boat at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    Maybe this flaw/shortcut in unfinished hull design is part of "price point" wake boats? Moomba will not be my next boat at this point.
    I have to admit, this issue has soured me on the Moomba brand as well. This is just poor design and poor execution. How hard would it have been to make the ski locker floor piece fit correctly (flush with the hull at the front), or spend an extra 5 minutes and seal it correctly? Why did it take until 2010 to figure this out and fix this design/manufacturing flaw?

Makes u wonder what other issues exist that we can't see.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Personally i wouldn't let it get to you guys or sour the brand. Everything made has flaws, some you see, some you don't. This one has been found and it's a fairly easy to correct it. Yeah SC isn't standing behind it in most cases it looks like, but it doesn't diminish the fact it's still a great boat.

I seriously doubt there's any hidden flaws. I just don't think they thought this would be an issue is all. Hell look at Toyota if you really want a serious example! Just because it's a boat doesn't make any better or worse, it's still just a boat and a mechanical piece of machinery.

Want a great example far worse than this? How about buying a new $20,000 Harley and finding out it could possibly have a known engine flaw that could detonate the engine? Yup it seriously happened to me and yes the engine let go. Got a new engine but it took six weeks to handle it. Far worse i could have been seriously hurt when it happened. So as far as problems go, this really isn't squat and i wouldn't worry that much. Fix-n-Go!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Personally i wouldn't let it get to you guys or sour the brand. Everything made has flaws, some you see, some you don't. This one has been found and it's a fairly easy to correct it. Yeah SC isn't standing behind it in most cases it looks like, but it doesn't diminish the fact it's still a great boat.

I seriously doubt there's any hidden flaws. I just don't think they thought this would be an issue is all. Hell look at Toyota if you really want a serious example! Just because it's a boat doesn't make any better or worse, it's still just a boat and a mechanical piece of machinery.

Want a great example far worse than this? How about buying a new $20,000 Harley and finding out it could possibly have a known engine flaw that could detonate the engine? Yup it seriously happened to me and yes the engine let go. Got a new engine but it took six weeks to handle it. Far worse i could have been seriously hurt when it happened. So as far as problems go, this really isn't squat and i wouldn't worry that much. Fix-n-Go!
    Harley isn't a good, or relevant, example. Harley buyers should expect myriad issues. Harley buyers typically buy a Harley because of the brand, not the price point and certainly not because of a stellar maintenance/repair history. A relevant example would be something that is value-price point but advertised to be solidly built, but has known, uncorrected flaws similar to your Toyota example.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

I'm going to agree with both Cab & Razz. I wish SC would handle this differently, but I also understand the economics of a full blown recall. I've had to execute a few product recalls and the cost of the product/repair is just the tip of the iceberg. There are quite a few "hidden" costs that the end consumer is unaware of and those are the ones that snowball and can serious cripple a small company.

But, Razz is correct in that this really isn't a big deal. Had mnpracing not purchased a used Moomba, found the board and posted . . . would this thread have even been created? We've heard that the LSV is "the single most popular boat in the tournament wakeboard market segment." If this is true, don't you think we'd have 200 pages to this thread instead of 20? If it were a serious structural or mechanical issue, wouldn't there have been major problems reported since this hull was introduced in 2006?

So, what do I think SC should do? First, admit that this might be an "issue" for some owners. The lawyers can write it up so they avoid serious legal implications. It's a fairly easy fix (drill hole in ski locker floor, remove some foam and install the access cover) and a fairly inexpensive part so I would like to see them put together a repair package that would include instructions and an access cover to anyone that owns a 2006-2009 LSV. People could simply send SC their shipping address & current registration and the package ships out to them at no cost.
    Last edited by wolfeman131; 11-09-2010 at 11:09 AM.

I'd prefer a kit too. I'm within a year so I'll have to put in a warranty claim on this. I'd rather just have them send me the kit than raise a stink at the dealer, etc.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Tally of members with this issue

1. mnpracing - 08 LSV - repaired under warranty
    2. cab13367 - 06 LSV
    3. T100 - 04 LSV (same hull as 06-08 OBV)
    4. Canuckle Head - 07 OBV (same hull as 04 LSV)
    5. GrantM - 06 LSV
    6. 09outback - 03 Launch SSV
    7. saskyrider - 05 LSV (same hull as 06-08 OBV)
    8. mk_deuce - 07 LSV
    9. Kojack -
    10. Moombadaze - 08 LSV
    11. brain_rinse - 08 LSV
    12. wilemobius - 06 LSV
    13. Iowa05LSV - 05LSV - repaired under warranty
    14. kaneboats - 08 LSV
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    Harley isn't a good, or relevant, example. Harley buyers should expect myriad issues. Harley buyers typically buy a Harley because of the brand, not the price point and certainly not because of a stellar maintenance/repair history. A relevant example would be something that is value-price point but advertised to be solidly built, but has known, uncorrected flaws similar to your Toyota example.
    That's where i disagree mnp. Nobody should expect issues due to brand. If it was 20 years ago i would agree, Harleys of that era were crap and everyone knew it, we bought 'em anyway, I had three and lived with it. In 2000 when HD introduced the counter balanced TC88 motor they knew it had cam bearing issues but they rushed it to market anyway, where to this day there is still a class action suit against them on that issue 11 years later. Once they repaired my motor (at 10K miles) i put 85,000 more miles on that bike in five years without one issue, not one. I sold 4 Harleys over a year ago and not one had any issues other than the 2000 model.

Price wasn't and isn't the issue here, value price point has nothing to do with it. It's engineering and what the manufacturer is aware of and what's acceptable to sbsorb or ignore. Mastercraft put out boats for years with crappy gel and cracking tower issues, they knew it but it would cost too much to fix so they lived with the warrenty issues until they re-tooled. Notice how their towers now have corner bracing and support, it's how they addressed the issue. We're talking 60K and up boats here.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect SC to pay $1500 to have everyone's boat repaired like mnpracing. I would expect them to offer to have their dealers drill the access hole, vacuum what water is there, then install the access cover. I think it would be a nice gesture on their part, even though I think most people would just do it themselves, including me. It would not cost them that much but would buy them a lot of good will, I think. If they don't want to pay to permanenly fix the issue, at least provide a way for their customers to get the water out of an area where water was clearly not intended to go.

What bothers me most is the shoddy work on the installation of the ski locker floor. From the poorly fitting piece to the half ass attempt to seal it, both at the front where it doesn't mate up with the hull correctly and in places where they injected foam and then sealed the holes. There are many on the forum that have reported water coming from those holes as well. Seems like they would have recognized that the piece was not correctly made and redo the mold, or spend an extra 5 minutes during installation of the floor to make up for it and properly seal the openings. That's the part that bothers me because other than this issue, I think they make a really well put together boat.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV