Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by T100 View Post
    I went with that location of the hole because when I looking at the belly of the boat that was the lowest point in the dip of the bow under the boat. As I shop vac-ed the water out, I raised and lowered the bow of the boat to get the flow of the water to move. That is why I noted the water was surprisingly coming from the rear of the boat after the majority of the water was vacuumed out.
    DOCDRS I am considering installing a bilge pump, that is want I went with the 6" access hole.
    How much water was in the hold?
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

Cheap overstock deck plates here.

While i don't typically see freezing temps where this could cause an expansion issue, i do see another issue that could be as big an issue in the warmer climes. Basically moisture.

This spring i pulled the boat from storage and i had mildew on the sundeck vinyl and along the top of the rear seat. In other words only in areas close to the factory cover.

When i pulled up the cover it was wet under it, in fact it had growth on the underside! Not only did i have to totally clean the vinyl, i had to scour the cover as well. Now i know 100% that there was nothing wet in the boat, the bilge was dry and i had moisture packets in. I also know 100% the boat didn't get wet. I also know 100% that the factory Atwood covers are made from poly/cotton material and don't breath worth a damn. So where did the moisture come from?

I'm willing to make a solid bet it came from the trapped water in the bow. I will know for sure Saturday when i winterize if i have the issue or not but it only makes sense, where else would it have come from.

So for everyone with the issue and in warmer climes you could end up with the very same issue.
    2007 Mobius LSV

mpnracing, did you get a chance to measure the floor thickness where they installed the deck plate?
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle Head View Post
    How much water was in the hold?
    I vacuumed out at lest 12 L / 2.64 gallons, not to mention what my shammy (ShamWow) sucked up as I was drilling.
    2004 MOBIUS LSV
    2008 Tacoma

Razzman - I didn't even think to measure it when it was open Although they put an extra layer of fiberglass matting over the main part of the locker as you can see in the pics earlier in the thread, so it should be plenty strong.
    Last edited by mnpracing; 11-03-2010 at 02:57 PM.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Just as a side note, after taking the majority of the water out, water kept coming from the rear of the boat. The foam is saturated with water and I am not sure it will be completely dry by the time I put her away for the winter. I am going to buy a couple of moisture removers from the boat shop.(Not sure what they are called)
    If it's comming from the rear of the boat then I would guess that it's trapped back there as well. Why isn't it making it's way to the bilge area? I'll tell you why, because it's a DESIGN FLAW.

2007 Outback V

Just got off the phone with SC. Their web presence is almost nil right now which is why they haven't noticed/responded to this thread. I was told there they have hired someone that is currently in training that will better represent SC on these forums in the future.

I discussed this issue, as well as this thread in detail. The guidance I was given, and asked to share with all of you, was to go through your dealer. They have several different ways of dealing with this issue, including the deckplate/vacuum method that some of you have already done. They also mentioned drilling weep holes to allow water to somehow reach the bilge (I didn't understand this one) as well as the option of drilling a much smaller hole that doesn't require a deckplate and then using a reducer on your shopvac to reach the water.

So if you haven't already, take it up with your dealer, and report back on how you plan to address the issue. Personally, I like the bilge pump idea. Hmm....

Didn't Cab try that already?

Well, I got this e-mail from my dealer this morning who heard back from SC:

"The answer was that it is not a structural issue that would be covered under the limited lifetime warranty of the hull, so it will not be covered under warranty."

What I don't understand is why they agreed to cover mnpracing's boat but not mine, especially when mnp bought his boat used and I bought mine new (no offense mnpracing).

2007 Outback V

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention. I asked about the potential issues with doing absolutely nothing. From their perspective the worst case scenario is that if it got 100% full of water down there, then froze solid you could potentially end up with some stress cracks in the floor of the ski locker area. This would be cosmetic only and would never impact the structural integrity of the hull in any way.

PS - don't shoot the messenger.

Thanks for the update Brainrinse. It would only make sense that with that water in there you have the potential for mold growth as well - which wouldn't be good.
    2006 Mobius LSV 325 hp MPI Indmar
    2005 6L Silverado 1500HD Quadrasteer
    MODS: Polk DB651's Cabin Speakers, 10" Polk MM1040 Sub in a custom sub box, Kicker ZXM700.5 5 channel Amp, EZ net cargo nets, ACME 1847 Prop, 4 outlet Heatercraft Heater