Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Well my first thought after looking at it would be to do it like the existing floor access panels;
    • Cut away carpet where access is needed
    • Trim carpet back at all corners and fold back
    • Cut opening in comp floor
    • Route a recessed lip all the way around opening
    • Lay carpet back down and adhese around opening edges
    • Cut aluminum plate to fit opening
    • Drill holes into plate to secure to lip
    • Cover plate with carpet and secure
    Another method SC could do would be to manufacture a dam from their molds that could be pushed up from the locker into the void and sealed using asphalt roofing sealer. This could be done, i've seen trickier done before.
    Good idea. That would look good as long as it's done right. That's the way SC did the access panel for the second drain plug under the gas tank on the newer LSV's except that it has a ring pull on it and it's not screwed down but that's because it has to be accessed frequently.

Although, I'm not sure the routed recessed lip would be strong enough. Might have to screw in some flat stock of aluminum instead. And that way, you could just use the piece that you cut out as the cover plate.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Although, I'm not sure the routed recessed lip would be strong enough. Might have to screw in some flat stock of aluminum instead. And that way, you could just use the piece that you cut out as the cover plate.

Al
    If i'm not mistaken that's exactly how the current floor access panels are now, just a recessed lip in the floor. I think i saw a pic somewhere but can't remember. Because it doesn't have to be that big (6x6 or 8x a 1/4" deep x 1/4" wide route to accomodate an 1/8" plate plus carpet and it should be flush.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I blew up mpnracings pic here. You can see the thickness of the floor, it's plenty thick to accomodate that idea. Looks to be 3/4"-1" material.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV

Just great, now when i get home im going to have to get up in there and check it out as its been towed thru monsoon rains, sat in monsoon rain sorms while out boating-this is florida and a hour later the sun could be back out, had water over the bow-more than once, and had a faulty drain pump on the 750lb bag so i just drained it in the bilge.

I am a little suprised at no response from SC.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    I am a little suprised at no response from SC.
    As are many others!
    2007 Mobius LSV

For the thickness of the floor where the deck plate is, I'll measure it tonight. My guess at the time was < 1/2".

As for the access port over the gas tank in the 2011's, it's an aluminum square the same thickness as the aluminum floor covers. It's roughly 1" thick (plate welded to square tubing), and there is bracing where this deck cover sits so that it is flush with the floor. It just pressure fits from the carpet glued to the top and sides of the roughly 6" X 6" cover.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

If i'm not mistaken that's exactly how the current floor access panels are now, just a recessed lip in the floor. I think i saw a pic somewhere but can't remember. Because it doesn't have to be that big (6x6 or 8x a 1/4" deep x 1/4" wide route to accomodate an 1/8" plate plus carpet and it should be flush.
    Razz,

Below is probably the pic you are thinking of (it's my pic). The access panels rest on the stringer sytem.

What you are proposing will probably work but if I was to do this, I would screw in some aluminum flat stock just to be sure.

Al

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Yeah that's the pic i remembered, thanks Al. I'm sure with a little bit more thought this could easily be done and still provide adequate support.

So I was thinking a deck plate type setup with an aluminum frame that sits in the hole, floor routed slightly to sit flush and under carpet. And instead of the deck plate door, an aluminum recessed cover (carpeted) sitting flush also. Support and strength. hmmmm.

I know someone who welds and fabs, i may have to talk with him about fabbing a frame up to see.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Yeah that's the pic i remembered, thanks Al. I'm sure with a little bit more thought this could easily be done and still provide adequate support.

So I was thinking a deck plate type setup with an aluminum frame that sits in the hole, floor routed slightly to sit flush and under carpet. And instead of the deck plate door, an aluminum recessed cover (carpeted) sitting flush also. Support and strength. hmmmm.

I know someone who welds and fabs, i may have to talk with him about fabbing a frame up to see.
    So I take it you have this issue also, or you thinking hypothetically here?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Add me to the list .

Pulled the ballast bag out of the ski locker-the bag was wet on the bottom yet when I put the boat away about a month and half ago it was dry. Standing/bouncing on the ski locker floor I can hear air escaping--sounds like its weezing really. When kneeling inbetween the bow seats and sticking my head down in there and wiggleing the boat I can hear it sloshing underneath.

FYI- 2 weeks ago I filled the gas tank with gas for its winter hibernation, so im 99% sure its not what im hearing.

Looking up forwards it looks like the floor and hull have enough sealant so im thinking its getting someplace else.

I had the floor out last year when i was adding my depth finder and there was standing water under the gas tank-just thought I would mention that
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart