Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Well you know me- I'll take any opportunity I can have to interact with the nasty mat so I just went out to the garage, pulled it up and jumped up and down in the ski locker. I couldn't detect a problem but the floor is solid enough I'm not sure I could tell for sure. What do you think is the maximum amount of water that area can hold? Next thing you know my boatmate trailer will fail and they'll say it's because of the extra weight in the hull of the boat which according to SC isn't a problem.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

My nasty mat is going out in the trash in the morning... Any pros to keeping that thing...

Should be cutting my deck port as soon as I get the heater core mounted... Hopefully this week.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I've been avoiding this thread because I thought it was the first thread (and I don't remember who) installed the little 2" plug in the ski locker so he could vacuum out the water. I didn't realize this was another thread and how long it had gotten nor how big a problem this has become.
    That being said you can almost certainly add me to that list.

I know that is flotation foam but... why not just pull it out and make a bigger locker for ballast. You could have a bag made for that and easily get another 300lbs in the nose.

Got lemons?!?... Make lemonade!

PWI as usual...

Hey guys, I am officially on the list too. I have vacuumed out at least 8 gallons, if not more.
    I first drilled a 4 inch hole above the low point in the hull and got quite a bit of water off the top surface of the foam. Not so much down low near the hull, but the foam was really thick in that area. I messed with that area for a while and did not get anymore water seeping through after the initial vacuum.
    I stepped on the floor up as far forward as I could in the ski locker and there was a ton of sloshing! I decided to drill a second hole up towards the bow. There was stacks of standing water and the foam was floating. I could push it down and water streamed out of the hole. This is where the majority of the water that I vacuumed came from.
    I still had sloshing halfway between the two holes. I figured WTH, let's do a third hole. I am here, let's get it all. More water and a good amount too. As it stands, this is where I am continually vacuuming water from on a regular occasion.
    Now that the majority of the water is out, the ski locker floor is a lot stronger feeling already as it has dried out. I have ordered watertight deck plates to install, so I feel good about not introducing more areas for the water to get in than is already there.
    Sorry for the long post, but I thought you guys should know to look further than just the one hole to vacuum the water. I would suggest the middle hole as the most effective spot, at least is has been for me.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

So the third hole you drilled was in the middle of the other two?

What are you using to drill and how deep are you having to insert the vacuum to get all the water out?

Finally, where did you order the deck plates from?
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I choose to not worry about the hole. SC choice says its not a problem and if my boat sinks, well thats what insurance is for.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

From bow to stern, the holes are in a row about 18- 24 inches from each other. The deck plates are black in color and are a watertight, twist lock model from overtons.com.
    I used a 4 1/4" hole saw to drill. I just went through the fiberglass with the hole saw, which is not hard as the water had saturated it. The glass hardens up nicely once dry.
    In the hole furthest back towards the stern, the water came from the top of the foam mostly. I did cut the foam out down six inches or so to the hull, but it was pretty dry there. In the middle hole, there was a lot of water at the top of the foam, but also a lot down about five inches, where the foam meets the hull. This is where is am finding more water as the foam drys out. In the hole closest to the bow, I got water from all around the foam, top and bottom, side to side, lots of water! It has since been dry as the middle hole is lower and any water is draining to that location.
    Last edited by moombahighrider; 05-30-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Rdlangston, I wish i could take you're stance, but I have my daughter on board as well as my wife and countless other friends, usually. I refuse to ignore something like this, especially when I know that there is so much water in there that I can't access and deal with. The potential for a problem cannot be ignored, imo. SC should deal with this, but seeing as they aren't, it just means one more thing that I have to be attentive to.
    gotta love boat ownership! The things we do to have a good time, huh?
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Thanks for the update. I'm going to do the same thing to mine tomorrow.

ughh.....
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Good luck! It is actually not that big of a deal in the end. I would suggest starting at the stern end of the locker and then moving to the middle section. You may not have to go further forward than that, if you have a similar setup to what I had. Every boat and situation is different, i am sure. hope it goes well.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro