Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Bought used 2008 LSV last year (2016); I just put three 4" holes in my ski locker and drained at least 8+ gallons of water; it must of been in there forever, stinky as hell and flies love it; pulled as much foam as I could (wish I would've drilled 6" holes); foam is waterlogged and filled with oily water (previous oil leak and I think a current oil leak);will the foam dry out over time?; I'm storing the boat inside for the winter, so hopefully that will help; has anyone actually cut out the entire locker and refoamed?; it seems like the foam traps the water, especially if there is oil in it; what a mess -- stinks like crazy and oil all through the foam.
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100's each rear
    570 ski locker
    750 IBS
    Plus bags 625 and lead 650
    Reversible pumps-3
    ACME 2937 prop
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Swell shaper

Quote Originally Posted by GW@vineyardlake View Post
    Bought used 2008 LSV last year (2016); I just put three 4" holes in my ski locker and drained at least 8+ gallons of water; it must of been in there forever, stinky as hell and flies love it; pulled as much foam as I could (wish I would've drilled 6" holes); foam is waterlogged and filled with oily water (previous oil leak and I think a current oil leak);will the foam dry out over time?; I'm storing the boat inside for the winter, so hopefully that will help; has anyone actually cut out the entire locker and refoamed?; it seems like the foam traps the water, especially if there is oil in it; what a mess -- stinks like crazy and oil all through the foam.
    Yes. Leave it open over the winter and keep sucking water out. I ended up pulling the gas tank out and repairing (epoxy and glass) the bulkhead between ski locker and stern and sealed the ski locker drain with new removable drain plug. It was actually pretty easy and I've never done any fiberglass work before. Put a fresh coat of Bildgekote while the gas tank was out. I also epoxied the opening at the bow. Once the foam is out, you can get some condensation in there. I put some bags of alumina desiccant in the home created when pulling the foam out during the summer and open the deck lid I installed during winter storage.

It does take forever for the water to drain out of the foam. Like 6-12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

I forgot: Drilled 2 4" holes in the ski locker

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Thanks for the info.
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100's each rear
    570 ski locker
    750 IBS
    Reversible pumps-3
    ACME 2937 prop
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Swell shaper

Thanks for the info.
    Also investigate where the water is coming from. I had a leaky ballast hose that was leaking into the bilge and ski locker.

To help the water drain faster, I took a coat hanger; straightened it out and ran it up between the hull and foam in multiple directions. Most of my water was not coming from the bow. It was coming from the Bildge just to the stern of the bulkhead between the ski locker and bildge area where fuel tank is. I first drilled 1/4" holes into the bulk head at its lowest point and used a shop vac to suck the water out of each hole. I the used flexible epoxy and glass from West Marine to seal that whole area up.

My experience through this project is exactly why my next boat will be a Moomba/Supra. I emailed Moomba Support (John Buescher) and he walked me through every little step to correct the issue. In addition, he explained why it was happening. It really isn't a design flaw and you shouldn't get discouraged about the quality of your boat. Since repairing the issue, there hasn't been a drop of water under the ski locker.

At the end of the day, I don't know if another manufacturer who would spent that much time helping someone out who purchased a 7 year old used boat. Most would have directed you to a dealer or not even replied to the email. John was awesome to work with. In fact John Buescher should probably get the commission on my next Moomba!!

Let me know if you have any questions as you venture into this project.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    Also investigate where the water is coming from. I had a leaky ballast hose that was leaking into the bilge and ski locker.

To help the water drain faster, I took a coat hanger; straightened it out and ran it up between the hull and foam in multiple directions. Most of my water was not coming from the bow. It was coming from the Bildge just to the stern of the bulkhead between the ski locker and bildge area where fuel tank is. I first drilled 1/4" holes into the bulk head at its lowest point and used a shop vac to suck the water out of each hole. I the used flexible epoxy and glass from West Marine to seal that whole area up.

My experience through this project is exactly why my next boat will be a Moomba/Supra. I emailed Moomba Support (John Buescher) and he walked me through every little step to correct the issue. In addition, he explained why it was happening. It really isn't a design flaw and you shouldn't get discouraged about the quality of your boat. Since repairing the issue, there hasn't been a drop of water under the ski locker.

At the end of the day, I don't know if another manufacturer who would spent that much time helping someone out who purchased a 7 year old used boat. Most would have directed you to a dealer or not even replied to the email. John was awesome to work with. In fact John Buescher should probably get the commission on my next Moomba!!

Let me know if you have any questions as you venture into this project.

This photo should help. The part that was cracked up and "failed" was actually due to a speaker face plate that the previous owner had dropped down there and it had become lodged under the fuel tank between the tank and the hull.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Thanks for the additional information; I'm going to have my boat dealer dig into it over the winter; what concerns me even more than the water ( I guess periodically vacuuming out the water like others are doing isn't so bad), is the amount of oil in the water and oil trapped in the foam -- it's obvious that my boat has had an oil leak for some time.
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100's each rear
    570 ski locker
    750 IBS
    Reversible pumps-3
    ACME 2937 prop
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Swell shaper

Thanks for the additional information; I'm going to have my boat dealer dig into it over the winter; what concerns me even more than the water ( I guess periodically vacuuming out the water like others are doing isn't so bad), is the amount of oil in the water and oil trapped in the foam -- it's obvious that my boat has had an oil leak for some time.
    I can understand that. I was fortunate enough to have no oil in the water.

Let us know how it goes!

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Keepers, so did you pull out all of the foam out from under the floor or just where you drilled the holes?
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    Keepers, so did you pull out all of the foam out from under the floor or just where you drilled the holes?
    Just the foam where it attaches to the hull and all the way back under the bulk head to the bildge. Creating kind of a foam bridge.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV