Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Comments SC? Anything? Anything at all? Bueller?........ Bueller?.......... Bueller?........................Bueller?
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

Canuckle - do you have this issue as well?
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Yes, yes I do. I wonder if warranty will cover this. Looks like I'll be towing her down to Portland back to AWS if that's the case.

2007 Outback V

Default Hot topic

Well this is sure a hot topic, it is currently being discussed in three different forums, service & repair, how to information and general chat.
    I guess the bottom line is, especially for us guys up north - is there going to be damage to the boat from freezing and for others how do we fix the problem?
    If we install a drain in the bottom of the boat, were and what kind? Are we all putting a port hole in the locker space and vacuuming water out on a constant bases??
    Is there any one out there with some ideas on the to items I mentioned above??
    2004 MOBIUS LSV
    2008 Tacoma

Bueller?............. Bueller?....................... Bueller?

2007 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by T100 View Post
    Well this is sure a hot topic, it is currently being discussed in three different forums, service & repair, how to information and general chat.
    I guess the bottom line is, especially for us guys up north - is there going to be damage to the boat from freezing and for others how do we fix the problem?
    If we install a drain in the bottom of the boat, were and what kind? Are we all putting a port hole in the locker space and vacuuming water out on a constant bases??
    Is there any one out there with some ideas on the to items I mentioned above??
    I'll say this, a drain is not going to work for that locale. The water is trapped behind a bulkhead in essence and you can't install a drain in that region. A hole in the bulkhead may work to drain to bilge but it would have to be precision drilled to insure exact location. Problem there is if you have too much bilge water it can just run back through the drain hole and back into the bow, defeating the whole purpose. It would work pretty good for dripless shaft seal boats though.

The first path to a solution is to first figure out how it's getting into that area in the first place and address that. I've heard lots of speculation but no actual proof. Think about it, you drill a big ol' hole and install and access plate, suck all the water out and it just fills back up, how's it getting there? I seriously doubt a leaky cover would let that much water in unless you've got it sitting in downpours constantly.

I don't have a bag in that locker and i don't put wet things in there, it doesn't sit in the rain, covered or not, i don't take water over the bow and my dripless seal doesn't leak. So WHY is my locker always wet in there? I have no clue and have yet to figure out why but drilling holes is not solution guys. That foam can stay wet forever darn near. Just my opinion but if some of you guys are that worried about it I'd be pushing SC for an answer. If it's been an issue for years i'll gaurentee they have the answer.
    2007 Mobius LSV

[QUOTE=cab13367;117013]Thanks, I didn't realize my link didn't work. Those are the same pictures I was trying to link to.

These are the three of interest:

I've milled this around in my mind for some time, and at the end of the day, the water could be entering that space anywhere around the perimeter of this black structure shell that is installed into the hull. It is supposedly sealed around the perimeter. If that seal is compromised anywhere along that perimeter, water can enter.
    1. It could enter from the rear. Bilge water could seep under the rear of the area where I found the water when the boat slows down, either on the lake or on the trailer; the water sloshes forward and enters through a compromised seal.
    2. It could enter from the sides. Rain water or lake water or drippy kid water could enter through a compromised seal on the sides of the black structure shell.
    3. It could enter from the front, like I speculated in one of my other posts in this thread.

Bottom line, is that you couldn't guarantee that it was fixed unless you can inspect and reseal around the entire perimeter of that structure, which IMO is impossible without major teardown of the boat. So I'm hoping that the fix that is being implemented with my boat will work, but I'm not optimistic that the problem won't return.

On another note, I don't understand the design. Why is flotation foam needed? If it is indeed needed, why not mold this area into the main hull rather than "caulking" a piece of fiberglass to another piece of fiberglass and expecting that to last the life of the boat.

I'm actually wondering right now as I type this whether there is water under any of the other areas under this structure, like beneath the rear compartment floors or the areas under the seats along the sides of the boat??? Could that be a reason why my trailer hubs are showing an unusual amount of negative camber (extra weight being carried around)??
    Last edited by mnpracing; 10-21-2010 at 08:57 PM.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

crazy question. anyone weigh their boats to see what the current weight is vs the mfg stated weight is. you can adjust for a full tank of fuel, but that could be the tell tale sign of how much extra water is really sitting in the boats.

also, from this pic i am having a hard time understanding the void in the front of the ski locker, but this is on a 2010 or 2011 model i believe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    crazy question. anyone weigh their boats to see what the current weight is vs the mfg stated weight is. you can adjust for a full tank of fuel, but that could be the tell tale sign of how much extra water is really sitting in the boats.

also, from this pic i am having a hard time understanding the void in the front of the ski locker, but this is on a 2010 or 2011 model i believe.
    That pic is the top deck, so you don't see the black structure which is the layer of fiberglass between the top deck and the hull. The ski locker and the void is between the bottom two layers. The picture here is the top deck which has nothing to do with the locker or the hull.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

so that gets flipped over and sits on the black area in the pic above which sits on the hull. so the square area i thought was the ski locker is the walk thru in the bow?? got it.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold