Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Freezing in the winter????

Ok guys I have discovered I have the same problem after doing some fall clean up in the front locker AND I HAVE A LOT OF WATER UNDER THERE. I do not have the option of taking it to a Moomba dealer and I know Kojack installed a deck fill port at the bottom but how does a guy permanently fix this problem... where is the water coming from and if we do put a port access in and vacuum the water out are we getting all of it. Not to mention freezing in the winter and what it will do to the foam core.....for the winterization is vacuuming out the water enough? Any in put on this would be great, thanks guys! 2004 Mobius LSV
    2004 MOBIUS LSV
    2008 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by T100 View Post
    Ok guys I have discovered I have the same problem after doing some fall clean up in the front locker AND I HAVE A LOT OF WATER UNDER THERE. I do not have the option of taking it to a Moomba dealer and I know Kojack installed a deck fill port at the bottom but how does a guy permanently fix this problem... where is the water coming from and if we do put a port access in and vacuum the water out are we getting all of it. Not to mention freezing in the winter and what it will do to the foam core.....for the winterization is vacuuming out the water enough? Any in put on this would be great, thanks guys! 2004 Mobius LSV
    I think a lot of people have this issue and just don't realize it. The key is to lightly bounce up and down on one foot on the front part of the ski locker. Mine sounds and feels like it's completely full under there and probably is since there's about 4 years worth of lake/river water in there.

I see two options to drain the water - one is to do what kojack did and drill straight down at the rear most part of the ski locker, remove the foam, and put in an access hole. Then every so often, suck the water out.

Another option would be to remove the removable floor panels above the gas tank, remove the gas tank, and drill a hole horizontally into to the cavity under the ski locker, as close to the bottom as you can. Then the water will automatically drain into that area and out the back but water can also go in. Neither of these options is a permanent fix though. I think mnpracing is trying to get his permanently fixed. I'll be curious to know if (1) they get all the water out and (2) they are successful in preventing water from going back in.

I called the local dealer about this issue and talked to the service manager and he said that he used to own my exact boat and he had the same problem. He said he remembered wiping the ski locker dry and then when he stepped in it, water would come up thru several holes in the ski locker floor. He is going to call SC and see what they will do about my boat.

You bring up a good point about freeze damage if that cavity is full of water and it freezes. Luckily, I store my boat inside my garage and it never gets below freezing in there.
    Last edited by cab13367; 10-21-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I'm just speculating but I'd guess that it is a problem with that model and many years of that model. I'm sure that many don't even recognize the issue at all and many it takes years to notice (much like a few on here), and some never will. A lot of Moomba owners are in a freezing climate and if it were an issue causing "structural integrity" then I would suggest it'd be more of an SC concern?

I personally wouldn't care for it as it'd be the cause of some musty smell at a minimum. Glad to know it's an issue as I might trade for an LSV model some day. This is something I'll look for on my next boat whatever the brand.

Point being............probably more a nuisance more than anything

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

for freezing, I'm guessing that it pushes against the weakest spot. Meaning, the hull is stronger than the locker floor. When I look forward with my head in the locker, the locker floor appears to be bulged up from the front of the locker hatch all the way up to the bow. I'm speculating that the water froze and pushed up against the locker floor enough to permanently deform it.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Default Check your front locker as part of your winterization.

cab13367 and viking you both made the same point about Skiers Choice, it should be a concern to them, do we not have a rep on this site to give us some in put on this issue. From what I can tell from the site this has been an issue with a lot of boat owners. This is the first winter with my boat and I don't want to go into winter with a hull full of water, water is not good for the "structural integrity" of the hull and the foam.

I'd be interested to see how many other guys have this same issue, check your front locker as part of your winterization.

Very interested to see how you guys make out with the Moomba dealers, keep us posted!
    2004 MOBIUS LSV
    2008 Tacoma

Now I am totally sketched to check my ski locker...... This stinks as bad as the Canucks are playing right now!
    Last edited by Canuckle Head; 10-20-2010 at 08:02 PM.
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

I wonder if this is an issue in the XLV? When you guys say ski locker are you referring to the center ballast sac locker as well or is that a different compartment altogether?

you da man - it's the compartment with the ~ 3ft long door in the floor between the bow seating area and the main cabin area, right where the windshield middle section opens up. That's were my center ballast bag goes.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    I wonder if this is an issue in the XLV? When you guys say ski locker are you referring to the center ballast sac locker as well or is that a different compartment altogether?
    As deep as the ski locker is in the XLV, it might not have a false floor.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Did the ol bounce test in the center ballast on the 06 LSV and my what a lovely sloshing noise it made. I have to be honest here folks I'm a little ticked at this obvious defect in construction. The H2O is supposed to be kept on the outside not the inside!
    I'll probably drill and suck it out and put a cover over the hole
    2006 Mobius LSV 325 hp MPI Indmar
    2005 6L Silverado 1500HD Quadrasteer
    MODS: Polk DB651's Cabin Speakers, 10" Polk MM1040 Sub in a custom sub box, Kicker ZXM700.5 5 channel Amp, EZ net cargo nets, ACME 1847 Prop, 4 outlet Heatercraft Heater