Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    On another note, I don't understand the design. Why is flotation foam needed? If it is indeed needed, why not mold this area into the main hull rather than "caulking" a piece of fiberglass to another piece of fiberglass and expecting that to last the life of the boat.
    Because in order to meet Coast Guard requirements all mfgrs need to use flotation foam. If it wasn't for the foam your boat would sink if swamped.

Almost all mfgrs also use the modular design now as well. It's a common and accepted practice and has been for years to bond sections together.
    2007 Mobius LSV

"Almost all"...who doesn't?

I cringe when I hear "common and accepted practice", especially when there is a history of problems. The shop that is doing my boat, didn't blink when I described the issue, they were nodding from the beginning. "It's not uncommon" was the response.

Doesn't matter if everyone's doing it. If you do it wrong, of if it's the wrong thing to do, little else matters....

Sorry, I don't buy that reasoning....
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

looks like the only way water can get up and in there in either from spillage of the front bow sac and rolls forward , the bilge water running up from the stern to the bow thru the ski locker drain hole during start and stops or some poor seal around the floor in the bow from some rollers. since the deep v under the ski locker is the lowest point in the boat it will be hard to get rid of that water by normal draining... my .02

not sure why that part in not sealed as it looks like the locker is added to the stringers afterwards in the pic # 1

sc any time would be great to chime in.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

One of the things I liked best about the Outback was the plug under the front of the engine-- just about the lowest point on the hull. By Tues. after the weekend with the fans running there would not be a drop of water anywhere in the boat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    One of the things I liked best about the Outback was the plug under the front of the engine-- just about the lowest point on the hull. By Tues. after the weekend with the fans running there would not be a drop of water anywhere in the boat.
    Sounds just like my routine

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    "Almost all"...who doesn't?

I cringe when I hear "common and accepted practice", especially when there is a history of problems. The shop that is doing my boat, didn't blink when I described the issue, they were nodding from the beginning. "It's not uncommon" was the response.

Doesn't matter if everyone's doing it. If you do it wrong, of if it's the wrong thing to do, little else matters....

Sorry, I don't buy that reasoning....
    Sanger doesn't for one. Their boats are still 100% hand built including their proprietary rot-proof composite wood stringers, sub structures and floors. No modular build for them, check it out here. Btw that is Scott Pellaton narrating who still holds the world record (1989) for the fastest man to barefoot at 135 mph behind a dragboat, 60-130+ in less than 4 seconds.

I wouldn't say it's wrong since almost everyones doing it this way and SC's boats are the only ones i've heard of with the issue. I've been on at least 6 other boat forums for a number of years and i've never seen this issue come up anywhere but here. I've a couple of buddies with newer boats that are modular and they don't have this issue.

Malibu, Nautique, Centurion, Supreme, MB, Tigé are just a few that have been building this way for years. You may not buy the reasoning but it's the way it is and it's not going to change. What i wouldn't buy is why SC's boats have the issue.
    Last edited by Razzman; 10-22-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Sanger doesn't for one. Their boats are still 100% hand built including their proprietary rot-proof composite wood stringers, sub structures and floors. No modular build for them, check it out here. Btw that is Scott Pellaton narrating who still holds the world record (1989) for the fastest man to barefoot at 135 mph behind a dragboat, 60-130+ in less than 4 seconds.

I wouldn't say it's wrong since almost everyones doing it this way and SC's boats are the only ones i've heard of with the issue. I've been on at least 6 other boat forums for a number of years and i've never seen this issue come up anywhere but here. I've a couple of buddies with newer boats that are modular and they don't have this issue.

Malibu, Nautique, Centurion, Supreme, MB, Tigé are just a few that have been building this way for years. You may not buy the reasoning but it's the way it is and it's not going to change. What i wouldn't buy is why SC's boats have the issue.
    I consider CAB, you, and others on this forum to be quite in tune with their boats and how they work, and several just discovered the issue after specifically looking for it. I wonder how many more are out there (other brands included) that don't yet know there's an issue.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Very well could be others with the same issues, if so they don't seem to be as prevelant imo. Besides the obvious issue at hand imo the first and foremost issue to be addressed is you guys up north and the possibility of freeze damage due to excess water in the hull. In your case, the ongoing repair, imo this is just a stop gap for this instance. Yeah they're getting the water out for now, but what happens next season if it gets in there again? If it is getting around the modular sub structure then the only way to correct it is to pull up the fllor plate and gas tank and re-seal all around there. You said they're going to cut a hole in the floor and seal up the bow gap which I think is a good thing but if that isn't the main culprit than your back to square one in the spring right?

Again SC REALLY needs to weigh in on this before this snowballs out of control and give the owners some answers here!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Any of the Mods send this thread over to Rick T?

mine is in storage and i am now concerned....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I an curious if anyone with this problem has the dripless seal system?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug