Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wake shapes

05 v ride loaded up is narrower that my boat but super nice. 09 vlx load right up is huge. Also the 08 super air natique, super lippy but big. The Malibus I found were very nice shape as well as my lsv. With all of my ballast, 2 x 750, 400lbs locker, and 650 bow and 7 -8 aduts my wake with the plate all the way is really lippy. Way to lippy for a beginner of someone who is learning to go wake to wake. Pops you straight up. If you put the plate 1/2 way down it becomes much more forgiving

I'll post my 2 cents. I have only been behind a few boats, but the best wake was behind a Wakesetter VLX. I have been behind a 2004 and a 2006 and they were both really nice. The other interesting thing I have noticed is that even if the water is slightly choppy, the wake is smooth. With my Outback, even if the water is smooth, then the wake is still sligtly choppy. Was not a big fan of a 2004 Tige 20V. I hate the newer X-2 wake. The other wake that surprised me was a 1988 MC Tristar 190. It had a really nice shape, but wasn't very big. The owner was still playing with weight to dial it in and I think he has by now. Of course that being said, I still prefer my Outback due to my skill level and for learning proper technique. I can jump W2W toeside with no ballast in my boat, and I am about 50 pounds overweight. I have seen guys do backrolls, raleys, and 360's behind my boat before I got the wake dialed in, so the wake is not holding me back at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    I am about 50 pounds overweight.
    Well, you're just a skinny punk then, no wonder you can ride.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have an XLV with 2650lbs and at Canadian Nationals I rode behind a SAN230 and I thought the wakes were kind of similar actually. Not a wall like the older SANTE's and not a mellow rounded ramp like on the Malibus, more right in the middle. With the bigger boats you need to run at 22-24 when weighted or use quite a short rope, but the wake is big.

I've also ridden a safara this year at provincials and it was nice, very firm but rounded with no lip.
    Levi
    Former owner of a 08 Mobuis XLV, Cat340, 2650 Lbs.
    I miss that boat!

Quote Originally Posted by 501 View Post
    I have an XLV with 2650lbs and at Canadian Nationals I rode behind a SAN230 and I thought the wakes were kind of similar actually. Not a wall like the older SANTE's and not a mellow rounded ramp like on the Malibus, more right in the middle. With the bigger boats you need to run at 22-24 when weighted or use quite a short rope, but the wake is big.

I've also ridden a safara this year at provincials and it was nice, very firm but rounded with no lip.
    Agreed with the XLV weighted at 21-22mph, ride short. Above 22 you can add some length and the wake is more than I can handle as a newbie

I am still trying to dial the wake behind my 06 lsv. Right now I have 750's in the back, ski locker and stock 250's sitting in the bow. Best I have gotten so far is 750's in back ski locker and 6 people crammed into bow. Made the wake a decent size and a nice ramp. The best wake by far though I have been behind is a 10' SANTE 230. Stock ballast with 6 people in the boat. It was huge and steep. With my LSV you defiantly have to have technique down but the SANTE was effortless to be in the clouds.
    Here is a pic of the sante wake.

Last edited by Derek03; 10-31-2010 at 10:52 PM.

ridden behind:
    2009 nautique 210
    2009 nautique 211
    2000 malibu wakesetter
    2006 malibu v-ride
    my 03 moomba lsv

favorite would have to be between the 2000 wakesetter and the nautique 210. buddy has his 2000 wakesetter absolutely dialed, I love the rounded top to the wake, clean release everytime and hard as a rock. the 210 was actually quite similar to the wakesetter, but a bit more vert, hardly noticeable, and produced the same results with significantly less weight in it, 1000 pounds on top of stock in a new 210 is not bad at all!! 211 i was test driving and didnt have enough weight in it, an extra 500 on top of stock but could see potential in it for sure. I have had my moomba for 4 years, and a variety of different weights in it to try and get that rounded lip like the malibu, but just cant seem to figure it out, hate to say it, but its my least favorite of the boats i've ridden behind, thats not to say its not good though and all I will ever need. If you have any tips to get the lip to tame down on this boat, let me know!!!

The boats you rode were all bigger and newer than yours and known to be some of the best in the industry. After riding a nautique 210 once I was kinda down on my boat for a while but after I thought about it there's nothing I could do behind that boat I couldnt do behind my own. I'd like to ride it again and compare though because I started weighting our boat different lately and think its a lot better now than when I rode behind that boat.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by yager97 View Post
    ridden behind:
    2009 nautique 210
    2009 nautique 211
    2000 malibu wakesetter
    2006 malibu v-ride
    my 03 moomba lsv

favorite would have to be between the 2000 wakesetter and the nautique 210. buddy has his 2000 wakesetter absolutely dialed, I love the rounded top to the wake, clean release everytime and hard as a rock. the 210 was actually quite similar to the wakesetter, but a bit more vert, hardly noticeable, and produced the same results with significantly less weight in it, 1000 pounds on top of stock in a new 210 is not bad at all!! 211 i was test driving and didnt have enough weight in it, an extra 500 on top of stock but could see potential in it for sure. I have had my moomba for 4 years, and a variety of different weights in it to try and get that rounded lip like the malibu, but just cant seem to figure it out, hate to say it, but its my least favorite of the boats i've ridden behind, thats not to say its not good though and all I will ever need. If you have any tips to get the lip to tame down on this boat, let me know!!!
    My friends also have an 03 LSV and to me it has a small wake filled compared to my XLV with barely any ballast just to clean/level the wake. I'm going to look at the Axis A22 this week...who knows.

the malibu is a 2000, 3 years older and is not much bigger than the Moomba, the beam is definately smaller, more freeboard, and maybe an inch or two longer.