Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bad news on ethanol!!!

not sure if you all saw the bad news that the obama crew has allowed the epa to bump ethanol percentages up to 15%, however only recommended for vehicles 2007 and newer.

stations are now going to have to figure out how to segregate 10% ethanol blends and 15% blends so that those with older cars can buy the old blend.

it has not been approved or tested in heavy trucks, motorcycles, small engines, boats and any vehicles older than 2001.

only one word.. SUCKS...

this is just the first step toward making it all 15%..

the story:
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ewer-cars.html
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

More "I don't know what the F*%$ I'm doing" policy from those back in Washington, DC.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    More "I don't know what the F*%$ I'm doing" policy from those back in Washington, DC.
    You got that right
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Looks like MC, Malibu, Supra, Moomba, Tige, Nautique, etc. owners are all going to be in the same boat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

This was in the story. But it really doesn't make a difference. This is the camel's nose yet again.
    . . .
    Boat Engines Excluded

The decision excludes non-road engines such as boats and snowmobiles. The National Marine Manufacturers Association, a Chicago-based trade group for the recreational boating industry, said it’s worried that consumers may become confused and put the wrong fuel in boats.

“We are astonished that EPA has decided to move forward with a fuel that will increase air pollution and damage hundreds of millions of existing products,” President Thom Dammrich said in a statement today. The U.S.’s 66 million boaters will be left “holding the bag for performance issues and expensive repairs,” he said.
    . . .
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

On the subject of bad news, the depleted Federal Highway Trust Fund is causing some stir among policy makers who are talking about raising the current federal gas tax of $0.19 per gallon to possibly as high as $0.39. I just hope there is a carve out for boats since they have nothing to do with cost of maintaing roads, bridges, or airport runways. My guess is that a carve out won't happen and everyone pulling up to a pump to buy gas for a boat, lawn mower, or snow blower will be kicking in to the Fund.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

kane, read that in there as well, but where you gonna buy gas that has less ethanol in it? stations are going to cater to the masses and sell whatever the refinery offers. we have 2 stations here locally that sell non-ethanol gas, but it's .30/gal higher than anywhere else in the valley. they can exclude whomever they want, but you still gotta find somewhere to buy it

Quote Originally Posted by flatH20 View Post
    one of us should develop something to negate the impacts of the ethanol on our inboards and get rich in the process...
    Well, there's already Marine Formula Sta-bil. I recently started using it after learning of the harmful affects of ethanol. Wish I'd known sooner. I think a lot of people on this forum use it and it generally gets good reviews.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10437
    2006 Outback DD

marine formula stabil is nice, but gets expensive.

not sure what kind of ride you have flat.. e-85 does drop your mileage around 15-20%, however the boost in octane and power that comes with it can be nice depending on the ride..

E85 is a wash in my Tahoe... lower mileage but lower cost so same $/miles. I never put ethanol blended fuel in my boat though. It's getting harder to find when you live in the corn belt, but premium still is ethanol free at several stations.