Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    That's a good point, I'd use the kiss rule and use my time for something else.
    You know some of these boats might be in brackish water. As an engineer that works with the US Navy you wouldn't have to worry about it (getting the bolts off) in about a year or 2 as there won't be a plate to worry about if it sees any salt at all.
    Really there is no excuse for putting a painted mild steel plate in a bilge and if some people like cool wraps then you have some people who like good designs (316SS plate). So for those that don't mind sanding rust go for it and for those that like things done right, go for it. Then everyone will be happy!

So if he tells you that he has found a new cheaper filling material you would be ok with it wouldn't you.
    Wow! A new use for Lead!

I read this and check while I was winterizing the boat. My plate on my 08 Outback it still very silver with no signs of any oxidation. I have had my boat in salt water and brackish water on a few occasions. You may want to pursue this through your local dealer.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    You know some of these boats might be in brackish water. As an engineer that works with the US Navy you wouldn't have to worry about it (getting the bolts off) in about a year or 2 as there won't be a plate to worry about if it sees any salt at all.
    Really there is no excuse for putting a painted mild steel plate in a bilge and if some people like cool wraps then you have some people who like good designs (316SS plate). So for those that don't mind sanding rust go for it and for those that like things done right, go for it. Then everyone will be happy!
    Ok Z I was going to let your slam pass till your last post. Check out my first post on this subject.....and last time I checked are not most of the navy buckets of the last 100+ years made of steel?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Ok Z I was going to let your slam pass till your last post. Check out my first post on this subject.....and last time I checked are not most of the navy buckets of the last 100+ years made of steel?
    I apologize, my slam was directed at my tailgater and not you. Of course you guys do use an alloy of mecury don't you?
    Yes they are and I actually work with NRL (Naval Research Laboratories) on the types of coatings we use on our Aluminum and Steel products. Some of these coatings which are used inside the ballast tanks of Nuclear Subs are very expensive and the total cost exceeds the cost of stainless steel. This stuff comes out of a special spray gun at 1000psi!!! But I work in the Aerial (helicopter) towing world. Can't say more here, but it is about weight so usually we try to limit the amount of steel used and what is used is protected with expensive coatings. A 1000ft long ship in the US Navy is going to have some very nice expensive coatings on it. And it will come in drydock every few years to have it replaced. A backing plate in a ski boat can easily be made from aluminum and if there is one that needs additional strength one piece of stainless steel is not going to make a Moomba cost what a MasterCraft costs. You can't convince me that the price difference between aluminum and stainless steel vs. mild steel is a good choice in such a small application. I mean really go to any boat dealer and look for painted steel parts, I don't remember seeing any unless it was galvanized (which would not be a bad choice on this plate either).
    Now I can say that a couple of years ago I was onboard a German Minesweeper that was totally made of non-magnetic stainless steel. Yes an expensive boat that one was. Where do you think all that money that people spend on BMW's and Mercedes goes!

Oh I could go on about mercury.....amazing there are any old dentists around......but I think we,ve hijacked this thread enough with this fun banter ....besdes, I'd hate to think you were an anti-dentite....maybe we should have a take your best shot forum .....lmao
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 10-22-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Oh I could go on about mercury.....amazing there are any old dentists around......but I think we,ve hijacked this thread enough with this fun banter .....maybe we should have a take your best shot forum .....lmao
    I agree!
    Point me in the direction and I will play!

I've had this same issue for the last two summers since buying an '01 Outback. I've done nothing about it. There's always rust in there. There is always water in there as well. Now I'm wondering if I should do something about it. However, there is water constantly in my bilge until winter. I suppose I'll try the painting option as soon as I winterize.
    2001 Moomba Outback, Indmar Assault 325 + 4BBL Holley