Thread: Fuel

Default Fuel

First, I am the proud owner of an '02 Mob LSV and we love it. Anyone have suggestions or clarification on fuel requirements and how to meet them. Indmar say 89 and ethanol is ok up to 10%. The new Moomba manual says 89 and no ethanol. I live in an area where anything over 87 octane contains ethanol (off the water). Recommendations for an octane booster or other solution would be great.

I just run Super Unleaded 91 in California now. I ran 87 once and my boat ran like crap!
    Richard
    2001 Mobius

Default Octane level to run at

One important factor to consider is alcohol levels. I bring this issue to you through experience. Let me explain. This past summer I purchased a 2002 Outback and haven't had any significant problems with it. However I found that at the end of the day when I was ready to come off the water and I was idling waiting for the trailer my engine kept dying. My dealer was able to shed some light on the problem. At the end of the day when the engine is nice and hot is will tend to boil the fuel in the fuel pump. Unlike cars, whose fuel pumps are located in the fuel tanks to keep the pumps cool, the fuel pumps are bolted to the engine where is experiences alot of heat. The higher the alcohol level in fuel the faster it will boil. And the higher the octane level the higher the alcohol level. So, a lower octane level for me seems to work just fine. I run 89 and I have no problems.
    Hope this helps!
    Kraig

Default Owners Manuals

And as for manuals on the engine. The Indmar manual always overrides the Moomba manual when it comes to the engine and vice versa when it comes to the hull. Indmar is warranting that engine, not Moomba.
    Kraig