49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fill it up

40 81.63%
  • Get it close to Empty

5 10.20%
  • Doesn't matter

4 8.16%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I was looking thru the Coast Guard Aux website and found this under that whats new. Thought i would pass it along.

http://dev02.cgaux.org/members/whats_new/announce.php

Tips for boat winterizing with ethanol fuel: Suggestions from Auxiliary Partner, Soundings Magazine

Boaters are starting to winterize their boats. Considering the problems that ethanol-blended gasoline can cause, proper preparation of the fuel system and engine is a critical step in preparing a boat for winter storage. Gasoline with 10 percent ethanol (E10) has led to disintegration of fiberglass fuel tanks, the gumming up of fuel lines, and piston and valve failure. Two properties of ethanol cause problems in boat fuel systems. First, ethanol absorbs moisture - so it can cause water to collect in your fuel tank and fuel system. Second, ethanol is a solvent. It can loosen debris in the tank or fuel lines and allow it to reach the engine. Engine manufacturer representatives recommend using a quality fuel stabilizer and conditioner. The stabilizer should be added to the fuel tank before the seasonal layup and the engine should be run long enough to ensure that the stabilized fuel runs through the entire system.

Empty or full? Opinions vary about whether tanks should be left empty, or about 95 percent full during winter storage. According to some experts, the benefit of leaving tanks empty is, that if there's no ethanol in the tank it can't absorb water and can't loosen deposits in the tank. According to other experts, the benefit of leaving tanks filled with treated fuel is that there's less likelihood of moisture forming in the tank from condensation and a topped-off tank minimizes the explosive fumes that can remain in an empty tank. The National Fire Protection Association calls for tanks to be topped off to minimize explosive vapors. Draining the tank may be an option for boat owners with small fuel tanks but for owners of larger boats, topping it off makes more sense.

The rest of the fuel system also needs attention. Drain and replace the fuel/water separator and drain any fuel filters to the engine. You also should inspect all fuel hoses, and fittings. To determine the effect ethanol may have had on your fuel system, when changing the fuel/water separator, pour some of the gasoline into a clear jar and check the level of water and debris. If you see black specks in the fuel, you're looking at a potential ethanol problem. The black specks are typically pieces of rubber fuel line that has begun to deteriorate internally. If you find them, replace the affected fuel line with a new ethanol-resistant line.

[Posted: Oct 17, 2010. Source: Kelly Townsend, DVC-BL]
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by flatH20 View Post
    any of you folks use that "sea-foam" fuel treatment instead of stabil? I know that's about the most foolish name for the a fuel treatment especially in a boat... but I was just wondering...
    Yes sea foam is great... I use it instead of sta-bil. while it treats the gas it is also cleaning your motor....

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...treatment.html

I am aware of many outboard guys who swear by the stuff for removing carbon deposits and improving performance on 2 stroke outboards. I haven't tried it for anything though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!