Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Don't know where you live? Not in your profile. But here in the North I wouldn't buy anything but a 4WD. I've had many a tow rig and current is Sierra 2500 Duramax. I won't buy a gas guzzler again. It's diesel from here on out for me!
    I must totally agree with the diesel issue. I sold our 1500 Silverado because of the issues of towing it. When you put the GM trucks into tow haul mode you are going into 3rd gear and out of 4th. But due to the 87 octane gasoline I was using the truck would detonate (it was 96+ F degrees outside) and the knock sensors would shift the truck back into 4th. So I had this in and out of 3rd and 4th gear thing going on and it drove me crazy. So I decided to find a Duromax Crew Cab Diesel. Now these ARE expensive so you might want to look for a used one (new over 40k). I only bought the VW because they sold a very, very few Touaregs here with a 5.0Liter V-10 TDI diesel and being a sports car fanatic (sorry Ed I am going to mention BMW here, get over it) and because my we love my wife's Jetta TDI diesel (40mpg at any speed) I decided on it instead as it goes around curves better than any truck could and gets 18.5 mpg in town. But anyway now I am a TOTAL diesel fanatic. The Touareg never shifts down from 6th gear while towing the Moomba and all it takes is a little step on the gas pedal to pass someone even with the boat behind it. Just before the finacial crash GM was going to start putting a new V-8 4.5Liter diesel in their 1500's well that got killed but if gas ever goes up again you bet you will see it as they had already tooled up for production and were all set to release it. Finally, the diesels powered vehicles of ANY brand hold their value extremely well! In the long run you would save money.

Quote Originally Posted by LSV04 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Im going to need a new truck. Going to give my SUV to my wife and want a pickup. I drive about 80 miles a day but only tow boat about 1 mile a season,in and out of the lake, or to clean boat up mid season,so I wouldnt be towing long distance.
    Does anyone have any expierience with any of these 3 trucks? Ive looked at the Tacoma,GMC Sierra and Nissan Frontier.(all 2 door small models) All are about same price. Reviews on the Tacoma are not great. The Sierra looks ok, ok reliabilty on low milage ,I dont know about long distance. And Frontier looks great, a little bigger, comfortable and about the same price as Sierra. Nissan has a reliable reputation. The Frontier is a bigger truck, so will be more difficult to park in city. Do you get better gas milage with 2 wheel drive instead of 4WD? I also dont mind buying a demo or 2010 truck, and seems like as the year is closing , its a good time to negotiate any left over 2010"s. So I guess its between the Frontier and the Sierra.
    Frontier 2010 $18,999 Has a rebate $800 and seem anxious to sell truck
    Sierra 2011 $18,999 Have not negotiated yet
    Tacoma 2011 $21,000 Firm on Price

Any help appreciated
    My vote for boat pulling, would be the Serria. To pull my OB I have the choice of my Ford Explorer (V6 4WD) or the wifes GMC Serria (V8 4WD). V6 vs V8, Mid size vs Full size. The Serria gets it done better. Both get similar MPG. My dad has a 02 Toyota Tacoma, nice truck, 4wd, similar MPG as the others, but just the towing aspect, still the V8 Serria.

Since your are more or less picking a daily driver, go with your preferences, styling, comfort, MPG, budget. As long as the vehicle you choose has the ability to tow your boat (safely). I am in similar sitution, long work commutes, short tows with the boat. I use the Explorer.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    So I decided to find a Duromax Crew Cab Diesel. Now these ARE expensive so you might want to look for a used one (new over 40k).
    Nope, try average of $50-55K new here on the west coast! The new 2011 Denali Limited is $62K!
    2007 Mobius LSV

The two strongest contenders to fit the OP's needs are not on the list:

- Ford F150
    - Honda Ridgeline

Among the trucks listed in this thread, the Ridgeline is by far the most versatile and the best daily driver (independent rear suspension). A short test drive on a bumpy road will bear this out (as it has for many Ridgeline owners who came from other brands). I get 24 MPG US on the highway. Among the mid-sized trucks, it is the only one that has a full-sized cab that can comfortably carry five adults, and the only one that has four feet between the wheel wells for carrying standard construction supplies. It is the only truck with a trunk, which is shockingly handy. It will probably remain reliable for twice as long as the GMC or Nissan. It has the best slippery-road handling among pick-ups. It only handles moderate off-roading, and can only be lifted 2in. Some aftermarket accessories will cost more due to its unique shape.

BTW, disregard MSRP, as Honda oddly does not advertise rebates. Also, the people who wrote some of the Ridgeline commercials appear to be on some serious drugs. Eesh.

The Ridgeline will tow your boat very well. Your older LSV will be well within its 5000 lb towing capacity. I did same-day head-to-head comparison with a 1997 Silverado (w/tow package) for handling while towing my XLV. The only thing that the Ridgeline could use is extension mirrors. It is designed and now assembled in the U.S.A. See http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums for a deluge of information, including honest comparisons by many people who were really doing their homework while shopping.

I probably would not pass up a Touareg if some fantastic bargain on one crossed my way. However, the OP wants a pickup truck.

The Avalanche is also very versatile and has rear coils springs for better comfort... but again I would not buy one because is made by GM.

Ford seems to be the only Detroit brand that seems to finally "get it" with respect to quality, and that's only recently. They also have a new line of efficient engines for their trucks. Both Ford and Honda are expected to have entirely new offerings in their trucks by next spring, so my advice is to wait until then if you can stand to do so. Then you'll have both old and new models from which to choose for these strong brands.

I strongly agree with the other posters about 4WD. You will probably encounter a situation where it will prevent a VERY stressful issue, whether or not the boat is involved, compared to a RWD-only truck. It will probably avoid a great many marginally troublesome situations, too.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Nope, try average of $50-55K new here on the west coast! The new 2011 Denali Limited is $62K!
    Well I was trying not to sway his opinion too much!

I bought my Touareg for 43k with 14k miles on it from a VW dealer used with the factory waranty extended to 75k miles. It was pretty much brand spanking new. When I found the window sticker in the glovebox I was shocked to see that it was 68.5k and that was in 2006!!! Now I got a good deal! The gas Touaregs are nowwhere near that cost though.

I am confused. Out of those three trucks listed, there is only one full size truck. I would not even consider the other two. Full size boats should be pulled with full size vehicles. Also, four wheel drive is very nice getting up steep and wet ramps. Pick-ups are always light in the rear (over the drive wheels) and the majority of the weight of the boat is leaning down the hill. I see guys in two wheel drive trucks spinning the rear tires all the way up the ramp all the time. I put my truck in four wheel drive and pull right up.

Great inf0

Test driving the Sierra today, Both have cash back of 3200-5000. Huge help cause money is tight, 1st kid in college.2nd kid next year. But the Moomba is paid in full!!! Thats all that matters. Still riding here in the Northeast.

Thanks Guys

From the sounds of it, the ability to tow the boat is really not an issue. Especially since the wife will still have the SUV and the fact that you are doing such limited towing of your boat. But you are looking as to which truck will get you better fuel mileage for your daily driving. I own an 09 F150, so I am not going to say which vehicle of the 3 I would choose, because I do not know much about any of them. With that said I will say the folllowing. Go with the 4WD over the 2WD if you live in an area that is ever affected by rain, snow, ice, or hail. Yes it will cost you some MPG, but the added security is nice to have. Make sure that the interior size of the truck gives you enough room. And unless you are going to put some type of cover over the bed of the truck, I wouldn't count this area as useable space full time. Compare each of the trucks on edmunds.com. Take each vehicle for an overnight/24 hour test drive and see how well it fits into your daily life, this saved me from making a mistake when i got my 09. Just an FYI when it comes to F150's there is a 3-5K, depending on model and cab, that the dealer is able to come down on price, this is before rebates. Good luck in your search
    Nate

I tow my 08 OBV regularly with my 2007 Frontier. I have the 4x4 crew cab and for a "small truck" I think it's solid. My dad has a cabin that requires a pull up about 1/4 mile steep gravel hill and the truck does just fine. I pulled about 5 hrs each way to Kentucky and back and launched at a ramp that I can best describe as off roading with a boat and trailer. I wanted a truck that my family would fit in (my boys are 3 and 5) but also would fit in my garage- I don't like to scrape windows in the winter. It does fine towing my boat- the towing capacity is listed at 6100# but that would be pushing it. Keep in mind my boat weighs in at about 3000# dry wt- If I had a bigger boat I would want a bigger truck. I've towed my neighbor's 24 ft supra a time or two and wouldn't want to do it over long distances but if you're towing only a mile or two here and there it wouldn't be an issue. It gets 20-22 mpg on the highway without a boat. Sure if the world was perfect I'd have a 4 car garage and a big truck along with a supra 22ssv and an outback on the side- but I've got what I've got. Let me know if you have any questions about this truck.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

my vote isfull size 4x4 truck or suv because I once got stuck on a ramp in a 2wd trying to pull up a empty trailer-just launched the boat. Then was not able to upgrade the boat because of the smaller truck I owned---think for the future possible needs, better to have and use than to need and not have
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart