Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Latest Exile Convert

Well, you can officially count me in amongst the many who have joined the Exile empire. I replaced my Polk tower speakers in aluminum cans with Exile's new SXT65's and replaced my Kicker ZX700.5 with the Exile Harpoon (500W RMS x 2 @ 2ohms) and the new Exile SM600.1 marine rated monoblock amp (600W RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms). I already had the custom Exile sub enclosure loaded with an Exile 12" sub.

Below are some pics. Note that there are no wires showing whatsoever (other than at the pivot joint on the front leg). I even re-ran the wires to the tower light so it's hidden as well. I want to thank David at Earmark for the idea to do this. I love the clean, factory look!

As to sound, I am extremely pleased with the SXT65's. The Polk's were fine for floating and swimming behind the boat but when surfing, you could hear them but just barely, making it difficult at times to even tell what song was playing. 70W per speaker is simply not enough to overcome the engine noise when surfing and that is the max the Polks could handle so a bigger amp was not the answer. And you can forget about hearing them while wakeboarding.

The SXT's are not HLCD speakers so they don't project quite as well as the XM7's but they come close. BUT, they can take a lot of power and the Harpoon delivers 250W RMS to EACH speaker so you can easily hear them while wakeboarding. However, they really shine at surfing speeds - you can hear them loud and clear and they are don't sound harsh at that distance like the HLCD's do. I am all about sound quality vs quantity so for me, the SXT65's are the ticket. They sound loud and clean and smooth up close but since they can take a lot of power, they can also be easily heard while wakeboarding.

Thank you Brian at Exile for some great products!

Now for the pics. Sorry for the quality of them - I will take some better pics when the weather breaks and I can get the boat on the water.

SXT65's

No wires! The speaker wires run from the front to the rear tube via the center oval cross tube. I still need to get a couple of plugs to cover up the holes.

Last edited by cab13367; 10-09-2010 at 02:46 PM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Since I am running 1000W RMS to the tower via two pairs of speakers wires, I ran high quality 12 gauge wire to be sure the wires would not be a bottleneck. All connections were sodered and heat shrunk.

This is at one of the inside speakers. The SXT65's come with high quality, tailor fit, neoprene protective covers.

This is at one of the outside speakers.

JL Audio M6600, Exile Harpoon, and Exile SM600.1

SM600.1. This was a ten second exposure - it's not easy hand holding the camera still for that long!
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Looks Great! Only problem is we can't see your reflection in the pics now

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Looks Great! Only problem is we can't see your reflection in the pics now
    I see that as a positive
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Welcome to the club Al, Looks real good!

Hey how is the sound of the sub now with the 600.1 amp? I'm thinking of doing the same, dumping my ZX700.5 but i'd have to add a 800.4 & 600.1 to the arsenal. I already dumped the ZX650.4 for the Harpoon as well.

Also, are you running all three amps on two batts? I'm thinking i'll have to add a third batt to keep it all up to speed.
    Last edited by Razzman; 10-09-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Looks realy sweet Al ill have to drop in for a beer and close up inspection =)
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Razz,

I'll hold off commenting on the 600.1 until I can get the boat down to
    Exile to get everything tuned.

Yes, running all 3 amps off one batt. I do have an onboard smart charger and charge the batts after every outing so at least I know I am starting out with a
    fully charged batt each time. I think i'll be fine as I don't run the stereo very hard for very long when we are floating. We'll see.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Looks realy sweet Al ill have to drop in for a beer and close up inspection =)
    Come by any time. BTW, as Keenan was helping me pull wires thru the tower, he said, "Dad, our boat is becoming more and more like Mr. Mike's".
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Are you just running one starting and one stereo battery?

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    Are you just running one starting and one stereo battery?
    Yes, that's correct.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV