Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thanks for the info Cab. I was always curious what others did with their ballast.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Just had mine done at AWS this morning. They've been really good to me and I always enjoy wandering around the shop and lot checking out some of the other rides... But I think I may take the plunge and start doing it on my own next year. I've got more time on my hands than $$ leading into the holiday season. Plus I'm a DIY with everything else.

After reading Cab's updated winterizing description and seeing the photos (awesome by the way), I'm not so intimidated anymore. A few years ago I stored my boat up at a fish hatchery in an extra garage. It was a harsher than normal winter and sadly we got to put a new engine in the old Moomba that next spring after the shock of finding freeze damage from some trapped water...

With everything new "under the hood" I vowed to always take it to the dealer and let them do their thing. However I've built and rebuilt a few small block chevys in my day. I change my own oil and do everything else with the boat myself - I think with the help of the guys on forum I can handle it next time.

And DIY = no waiting in line!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

From what I'm hearing you guys say is do it yourself (here we go from 80F to 25F in a matter of a few days makes it tough) or it's time to check out the MC or Malibu dealership. $400+ with no impeller, no tranny and $225 to hook everything up again in the spring is kind of crazy. Our LS only has a gravity I ballast. So that can't amount to much of that $410.
    2008 LS

Smile

Hey, berger - Just noticed your signature. Pretty funny. You enjoying single life? - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Kurt ..... It's hard to believe they charge over $200 to summarize. There really is nothing to do other than tighten the belt, install impeller, and replace drain plugs.

Most dealers don't even remove impeller and loosen belt so she's ready to dump in the water and go in the spring with nothing other than a turn of the key

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Got my rates for winterization.......
    825. Oil n filter change n winterize
    100 for ballast tanks
    390 if you want an impellar change
    8.95 for hull and deck cleaning per foot
    Diy.....priceless
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Hey Deerfield-

Funny you should mention that. With this being the coldest and wettest summer on record in the Portland/Vancouver area in the last 17 years (seriously, saw it on the news) I was still able to put over 40 hours on the boat this summer. Only 20ish hours last summer. The EX couldn't resist making a few nagging comments about how I'm enjoying "her boat" when dropping off the kids but that fell on deaf ears.

Being single again after 14 years is still weird but I'm getting the hang of it again after 9 months of it. Glad I didn't lose the boat in the DV. I may need it while I'm on the hunt for a Moomba Mama!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I wonder if the economy is partially to blame for the damage. I have 3 buddies who have gone through the split in the last 6 months. 14 years, 13 years and 13 years and now starting over.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I think ours is $200 to get winterized, $50 for heater, $50 for ballast. they drain and fill with antifreeze.

Summerizing: I think getting charged and the hassle to go back to the dealership to have them connect hoses and put plugs in is crazy. never would I go through that hassle.

I'm always tempted to do mine myself but it helps out my dealer and keeps me at the top of the list should something break before a summer holiday.

oil change is $100 every season
    impeller is $150 every other season

I watched a different dealer do an oil change for $150 and said that was too much.

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Just had mine done at AWS this morning. They've been really good to me and I always enjoy wandering around the shop and lot checking out some of the other rides... But I think I may take the plunge and start doing it on my own next year. I've got more time on my hands than $$ leading into the holiday season. Plus I'm a DIY with everything else.

After reading Cab's updated winterizing description and seeing the photos (awesome by the way), I'm not so intimidated anymore. A few years ago I stored my boat up at a fish hatchery in an extra garage. It was a harsher than normal winter and sadly we got to put a new engine in the old Moomba that next spring after the shock of finding freeze damage from some trapped water...

With everything new "under the hood" I vowed to always take it to the dealer and let them do their thing. However I've built and rebuilt a few small block chevys in my day. I change my own oil and do everything else with the boat myself - I think with the help of the guys on forum I can handle it next time.

And DIY = no waiting in line!
    Berger,

Was the freeze damage a result of improper winterizing or no winterizing at all?

I am practically local to you so if you decide to DIY next year, I would be happy to help you. Just let me know. Once you do it yourself, you will never pay anyone else to do it.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV