Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I seriously question the 40gal tank as I've never put that much in - but then again, I'm chicken to run it that low!

My hull always seems to me like it is not as deep at the rear as newer boats and the storage compartments not quite as long.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Thanks for clearing that up Berg.
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm going to sketch it out (yet again) and run it by WakeMakers to get their take on the plan.

Part of what I like about the forums is some of the stories and questions that spin off from the original topic. Fun stuff and I often learn or find something else I wasn't originally after!

Default Requesting feedback on ballast system layout

So after a bit of head scratching I'm wondering if this type of layout will work?

I'm feeling confident in the setup except possibly for the electric control valve at the end of the system (Irritrol or similar). I'm thinking I'll combine the drain and vent lines together, have them pass through the electric valve, then out the through hull.

When the ballast switch is on "FILL" the fill pump comes on AND the electric valve opens allowing the vent to do it's job. When the ballast switch is off, the valve is closed, keeping the vent or drain line from leaking. When the ballast switch is on "DRAIN" the drain pump comes on and again the electric valve opens.

Simply put, the electric valve opens any time a pump is running. Am I missing anything here? Major no-nos?

This is basically one half of the setup or one side of the boat.

Did you search for other installs? Take a look at mine.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=12664

I know the valves are going to kill your fill and empty times. I know the T1200 pumps have a propiatary thread that does not work with 1" NPT. I'm just saying you shouldn't have to re-invent the wheel here.

I'm taking a look - thanks ORboatpilot! Your setup is basically the exact route I want to go. I know the 1200 fittings can be a pain but willing to work through that.

With the 1100 bag filling the rear compartment so fully I don't have a lot of options for a high point to mount a vented loop back there and questioned how well that would work anyway with the boat listing at surf speeds. Now I see another route is to run more line to the bow stick the loop further up towards the front of the boat or midship. Hmmm...

All the vent and drain thru hull fittings on my boat are out the rear unfortunately - came that way. I was kind of hoping to reuse those instead of adding new vents and/or drains further up and capping off the old ones but it appears that may be the way to go to avoid the crowded space in the back.

I guess that is still an option. I wouldn't mind getting some more details on your setup. May do some tinkering around tonight after I get home and send you a PM after I investigate further!

Berg,

Here's the link to my install.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....allast+upgrade

Be sure to look at the pics on pg 5 also.

I went with one, 1" intake feeding two T-800's and one stock Rule 2000 (acutally a 1200gph pump). Here's the deal on the auto fill, auto drain issue. If you don't use valves or vent loops, the rear sacs will usually auto drain, but will not auto fill. The front sac will usually do both - auto fill when sitting, auto drain when underway.

So my solution was to install brass swing check valves for the rears (cheaper than plastic check valves and less restrictive) at about a 45 degree angle and an Irritrol electric valve for the front. I don't have any auto filling or auto draining issues with any of the bags. And I solved the auto drain thru the drain fitting on the rear surf side sack by routing the vent hose as high as possible, higher than the vent fitting on the bag. As long as that is the case, the water will not auto drain out the drain fitting.

Hope that helps.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    I went with one, 1" intake feeding two T-800's and one stock Rule 2000 (acutally a 1200gph pump).
    Have you seen specs on the Rule 2000? I've always thought the Tsunami 1200's were just as good or better. This would not surprise me one bit.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Have you seen specs on the Rule 2000? I've always thought the Tsunami 1200's were just as good or better. This would not surprise me one bit.
    Yes, see below. The Rule 2000 is also known as the 207F as shown in the pic. Now look at the GPH spec for the 207F in the table.

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Thanks, Al. I suspected as much -- that 2000 doesn't mean a dang thing. These are not bad pumps and I have 3 of them but they aren't spectacular and aren't any better than the tsunami but cost more around here (I did my shopping online in Nov or Dec a couple years ago).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!