Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default black paint for speaker cans

My pods have faded and want to bring them back to new like condition, do i used an epoxy paint, metallic, or the stove paint. not sure where i could powder coat near me, which is probably the best and most expensive option.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Might be easier to just get some Simichrome Metal Polish and then get some speaker socks to maintain the shine.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by flatH20 View Post
    you just going to use a rattle can? or shoot with a HVLP gun?

the enamel won't hold up that long

acrylic enamel base/clear would be my first choice but it's only the speaker cans and not the vintage muscle car...
    spray rattle can , not sure what a HVLP gun is. but it is only the speaker cans.

someone on WW used truck bed liner on the cans, looked ok, but i want the gloss black finish.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I used a metallic red enamal on my last boats speakers cans (DIY polished cans to be exact) and it held up just fine for three years. The trick as said is to use light coats, but even then too close and it'll run, too far and it fogs. Be consistent with your distance and once totally cured a few weeks down the road you can wet sand to a real high luster with 1500/2000 grit and polish up if you want. The key is to wax them a few times a year to protect.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    I used a metallic red enamal on my last boats speakers cans (DIY polished cans to be exact) and it held up just fine for three years. The trick as said is to use light coats, but even then too close and it'll run, too far and it fogs. Be consistent with your distance and once totally cured a few weeks down the road you can wet sand to a real high luster with 1500/2000 grit and polish up if you want. The key is to wax them a few times a year to protect.
    maybe i can just wax them now to bring back the shine. good thought Razz.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

JMV - I'd say take them to a automotive body shop, ask them how they want them prep'd and you should be in and out of there for about 100.00 with any color you want and cleared. This way you'll be assured that they wont fade in the sun because they will use UVA/UVB inhibitors. Rattle can will work to, but it will give you marginal long term results.

Or just sticker bomb the whole thing like Ian did!

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Brian,

Thanks I do have a client in the auto paint business. hmmnn.

But if i am going to pay 100.00 to paint these they i may as well sell them as is and upgrade to some all black exile xm7's ( black matches my paint accent)

where are Ian's stickered up pics???

found it
    cool but not me
    http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...light=speakers
    Last edited by jmvotto; 10-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

HA - that's kinda cool!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Well, they were right about the "some will love it, some will hate it" part.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

JMV - There I was tryin to give ya some good advice on paint... eheh! But by all means, come to the dark side and rock Exile. I just checked out your photo album... If you surf a lot, you might look at the SXT65's. Razzman just did that setup and it would be a pretty impressive upgrade from where you are at currently. If you like black accents, I think the SXT's look freakin hot. I'm partial to the murdered out look.

As for the Sticker bomb thing... I saw your link. Didnt Ian post it over here on the moomba site? oh boy. I saw it on WW but figured it was up over here too. I dont know if i'd go doing something like that, but I have to say, it turned out great. And its always fun to see a fresh idea. GJ Ian

-Brian
    Exile Audio