Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs

Default Spark Plugs

My '07 325 EFI Outback has 160 hours on the engine. The dealer tells me that plugs should be replaced every other year. The service shop is selling them over the counter for $12.95 each. That's like $100 for a set of eight. When I balked at the cost I was told they are iridium and replace the AC plug recommended in my Moomba manual.

Do I need to replace plugs very other year?
    Is it worth replacig my current set with iridium?
    Why is iridium expensive?
    What will it do for me?

Thanks.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I would not put AC plugs back in it. Get you some NGK plugs from O'Reilly Auto Parts. The reg plain jane plugs are around 2.00 to 2.50 each. The NGK Iridium plugs are around 7.00 each. The 2.00 plugs are just fine for the boat thats what I run in mine.
    99 Moomba Outback with lots of work

deerfield,
    I was searching for the OEM plugs as well and near as I can find these have replaced them?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-41-993/

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Spark plugs on cars dont get changed until you hit 100,000 miles.

Why would they need to be replaced so often in a boat that uses the same engine?

I just finished my 3rd season and I am still on the original plugs. It fires up faster than my car when I turn the key.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    deerfield,
    I was searching for the OEM plugs as well and near as I can find these have replaced them?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-41-993/
    viking - The one you located here is platinum. The person working the parts counter at the Skiers Choice dealership said iridium is a step up, replacing platinum. Now, I don't know enough about engines to take on a parts person at a certified shop telling me that iridium plugs are the correct application for my '07 Outback and it'll cost me $100. But it seems that I used to be able to get a good plug for a couple of bucks. Then platinum came along at twice the price. Now iridium comes along at four times the price. No one can seem to tell me the difference other than iridium is better than platinum which is better than regular. Better for my boat or the person marketing spark plugs? I dunno. - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post
    Spark plugs on cars dont get changed until you hit 100,000 miles.

Why would they need to be replaced so often in a boat that uses the same engine?

I just finished my 3rd season and I am still on the original plugs. It fires up faster than my car when I turn the key.
    +1

First, is there any thing wrong with the way your boat engine is running to warrant a change of the plugs? Have you pulled the plugs to inspect them? Visually, you can determine a lot about the way your engine is performing. A web search can give you pictures of plugs running fine, rich, lean, etc.

When I winterize, I pull the plugs to fog the cylinders. I do my inspection then. On my MC that I owned for 7 years, I changed the plugs once. That was due to the fact that I accidentally cracked two of them on a re-install and the boat was not running properly.

BTW, my buddies with Mercruisers are also advised to change plugs every year, so it is not an Indmar thing. You should do what you feel comfortable with, but I get full use out of the plugs and wires until I change them.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Default Spark Plugs

Here is the scoop on spark plugs. If you have a 5.7L engine that has catylitic converter exhaust (2007 or newer Assault 340) use the platinum (AC 41-932) or iridium plugs (AC 41-101). If the engine does not have catalytic converters, use the standard plugs (AC MR43LTS).

Spark plugs in a marine engine typically have a shorter life span than in a car or truck because marine engines typically run colder and with richer fuel mixtures than automotive engines do.

The engines without catalytic converters run cooler and richer than the engines with catalytic converters and really do not benefit from using the more expensive platinum or iridium plugs. Save a few bucks and use the standard plugs.

The catalytic converter engines run warmer (but still not as warm as automobile engines) and significantly leaner than the non catalyst engines and the platinum or iridium plugs like those conditions.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Nut View Post
    The engines without catalytic converters run cooler and richer than the engines with catalytic converters and really do not benefit from using the more expensive platinum or iridium plugs. Save a few bucks and use the standard plugs.
    Engine Nut - I appreciate your guidance. Since my '07 Outback is equipped with the 5.7 325 EFI non catalytic engine I will use the standard plug when it is time to replace. Thanks! - Deerfield
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

Last edited by DOCDRS; 10-03-2010 at 12:57 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Those are pictures of my current winterization... What do you think of the old spark plug ?? hehe