Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine Crack advise

Ok, so i just learned i got taken. i bought a 2004 outback from a private seller on Craiglist, i drove over 8 hours to test drive it and even had to make a return trip to pick it up because the guy only wanted to certified funds. I did everything he asked. I asked the important questions, was it winterized, was the engine good, never in the shop. I talked to a local shop and asked them what to look for. There was no water in the in the oil, there were no "spraying" leaks or visible leaks. I could only run the boat for an hour becuase of the drive time back. There was some cosmetic issues, dirty carpet, dirty seats but easy to clean (and already did it)I took it out this weekend and it felt "different" it pulled strong but it just felt heavy. i was able to pull a triple tube and wake board, a good 6-7 hour day on the water. I noticed the temperature was running 180, if i locked the trans out and rev'd it up, it would lower to 135, i just figured it was time for a new impeller, i also have to replace the steering cable, it is horrible and i tried greasing it, but no help.

here is the bad news, while cleaning up from the weekend, i noticed the block had a little water on the driver side 1/2 inch above the oil pan, right next to a sensor. I dried it off and let it sit for the game, i went back out at half time and the water was back, it seems to seap from a hairline crack.

i guess i bought a boat wwith a cracked block, i doubt dude will ever even call me back, but i have to deal with the boat. so i need advice on what to do next. i tried to find some "blocks" on line, but i dont know that i want to do it myself? i have no idea where to go. i am nervous about the local dealership, i tried to buy a new one but they didnt seem interested in selling me a boat, (hence why i bought a used one) and i have read on line a bad consumer report about them.

does anyone know a west tennessee dealer or boat mechanic that has a good reputation, cares about customers and does great work?

also if i do it myself, any ideas where to get an indmar 325 engine?

thanks,

ps i learned my lesson, so be nice.....

What a bag that guy is

just curious, is there any water in the oil?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

You need to post some pictures of exactly what you are referring to. It may be a very simple fix. Always start with the easy and cheap fixes and then work your way up to engine replacement.

The engine has freeze plugs in the area that you are referring to, they are designed to fail before your block.

Also, how many hours on your boat.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Doc - No water in the oil, since i just bought it, i was watching it close.

Max & Flat - pictures will be up soon, kinda dark now, but i get a better light on it....

thanks for not pointing out my stupidity, i thought i did my due dilligence....

Pics. sorry cant get them to embed...i will work on learning how to do that...all three are of what i think is the crack. you can see the bead of water.

the boat is sitting in my driveway, trailer mostly level, maybe leaning to the front. the engine has not been run since yesterday afternoon. when it was running i didnt see an increase to the flow, but wasnt looking for it at that point. i just noticed the drip after church, when i was cleaning the boat up.

ask away....
    Attached Images Attached Images

that is only external, i would grind the area all down and jb wend the crack, drain the block first so no water gets into the jb weld

a chev vortec blocks are a dime a dozzzzzzzzon , by a old chevy that is a vortec and hown and change over your parts

Quote Originally Posted by mustangairchair View Post
    a chev vortec blocks are a dime a dozzzzzzzzon , by a old chevy that is a vortec and hown and change over your parts
    i saw on another post, they were different alloys and other changes from the indmar division? also, a few of the websites i looked at had LH and RH conversions.....i need something that will last, i am learning all too much about buying used....

thanks for the advise and hopefully positive news...

if there is no water in your oil then maybe its a flaw in the casting of the block and just took time for it to rust thru.....not sure but maybe you can grind it and
    jb weld it, i would think you have been getting warm water in your bilge when you were running it but then the water pressure in the block is not huge and jb is good to 600 degrees. may give ya some time before ya have to get a new block... www.michiganmotorz.com

09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug