Default Protecting Boat in Winter Storage

Hey
    Every year I build this blue tarp monster in my yard to cover my boat. Looks like crap and I end up adjusting it in snow and heavy rain all winter. Anyone use a tent like structure that will protect their boat that you can buy somewhere?. Wish I had a garage!!! Cost and an "ok" from my town & neighbors for a shed or garage is out right now. Where do ya all store your boats in winter?Any tips appreciated.
    Thanks

I covered it like you for the two past years and it was a huge pain in the a$$. Last week i bought a Tempo Shelter 12 x 24 with oval tubing and windows. Total 412$.
    I will now be able to work on the boat during early spring.

Last edited by flatH20; 09-20-2010 at 08:15 PM.

I just use my custom cover that is made out of 15 year Top Gun. I used to put a blue tarp over that but I quit doing that thinking that moisture could be trapped between the tarps and the movement of the blue tarp could wear on the fabric.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

When I lived up north, I used shrink wrap to make a "cover" on my Malibu. I did it for 2 winters in OK that included a few ice storms. I winterized like normal and allowed the boat to be completely dry (carpets and vinyl). Then, I bought 2 rolls from a moving store and made several passes back and forth. You can use a couple of PVC pipes to create as much pitch as you need/want or you can make it so the stock cover goes on over like normal.

It worked like a charm, the boat smelled like new in the spring when I unwrapped it. I will probably do it to the Outback this year if I can't find indoor storage.

Oh yeah, my wife made fun of me the first year until we opened it up in the spring and then she was a believer.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by LSV04 View Post
    Where do ya all store your boats in winter?
    LS - Our Suburban graciously gives up her space in our two-car garage for our '07 Outback, which stays under cover from October until April/May. If I was a rich guy I'd pay for indoor storage at some offsite location. My concern with the tent setup is that the wind, ice, and snow of the Midwest winter would make a mess of it Winter here in the Chicago area can be brutal. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I'm far from being a rich guy, but my neighbor isn't! He's loaded and ownes the Malibu 247 in the left of this pic. Find a rich neighbor or friend and split the cost of a larger storage unit. We get both boats & 3 sea doos in a 20 x 40 unit w/ a 10 ft door and each pay only $100 a month from November thru March. Well worth the peace of mind for me and lack of worrying (i.e. nagging) from my wife.

wolf, that's a good idea. save the "base" charge for the unit since the larger the unit, it doesn't escalate in cost at the same rate..
    you should post that up on ww..

I am glad that I have a 3-stall garage that the boat fits nicely in
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten