Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VDrive Fluid

Default VDrive Fluid

What fluid are you putting in your VDrive. The only "SAE 30" that I could find was Wal-Mart brand. Are any of you running synthetic? Synthetic or not, where are you getting your oil? Cheers.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

head to your local auto parts store. there are lots of choices in 30wt oil.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

How often do you change this and is it basically just an oil change from the v drive? Where's the drain? (I imagine it's in the manual but don't have it here at work).

I change mine every season. The manual has you change it every X hours. There is no drain. You have to suck it out. You can take the pan (access cover plate thingy) off the bottom to drain it, but that just makes a huge mess. Its designed to be sucked out.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Thanks I'll try to find the access on the v drive or look in the manual for it.

Maybe this is a silly question but how come this isn't a part of the winterization thread?

Use any non detergent 30 wt oil per the manual. There is a drain and screen that should be cleaned as well on the lower rear of the unit.

Either Auto Zone or Advanced Auto sells Valvoline SAE30 in our area, I can not remember which one it is. I always buy 2-3 quarts and change it every year.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Quote Originally Posted by pmoomba View Post
    Thanks I'll try to find the access on the v drive or look in the manual for it.

Maybe this is a silly question but how come this isn't a part of the winterization thread?
    Though many people perform the v-drive service at the same time, it's not really part of winterization. It's just scheduled maintenance.

there is actually a drain plug and a screen that should be cleaned, i believe/know its all in the schematics.
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 09-23-2010 at 12:59 AM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I removed the bottom cover from my v-drive last winter to repair a small leak and was curious to see what the screen looked like after 5 seasons. Screen was clean and just a small amount of build-up in the corners of the cover. It's also a good idea to pull the top and clean out debris from the cooling water. Make your own gaskets with RTV.