Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide body skis

Default Wide body skis

Well as much as I hate to admit it, I really struggled on my slalom this year. Last couple of years I have gone from running the course on a pretty quick ski to wakeboarding and playing all year and then barely getting up a few times on the slalom, make a couple of hard turns go over the front, wash out the back end, whatever it may be, stupid mistakes, but really seems to be hard skiing (even if it is not). have any of you ever tried the "wide body" slaloms? They look to be an easier start, claim to have slower turns and in theory seem to be a more fun ski. Now my teenager brain will not let me sell the speed ski, cause in my pea brain I can still ski as well as ever, but my body tells me otherwise and I have really gotten to teh point where i want to ski more, maybe a little less agressive and live to go to work the next morning with out somebody knowing I went skiing because something is pulled! If you like them, any suggestions?

HO makes some "tweener" skis like Triumph and Magnum that lots of guys in your situation like. Try to demo a few of them.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Just ski more - it's way cooler than wakeboarding... but you already know that...
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    Just ski more - it's way cooler than wakeboarding... but you already know that...
    Viking likes this ^^

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I only wish!! I used to be 7 minutes from water and skied at least 4 afternoons a week, never even put the boat in the water on a weekend. Now it is right at an hour and weekend are all I have, and it is amazing what this desk chair does to my skiing!

And as for the wakeboard, i am still new at that so I can justify sucking, I have been skiiing way too long to suck again....

Smile

sleepyluke - There is a saying that even a bad day on the water is better than a good day at the office. Well, a similar saying (that I just made up for this situation in which you find yourself) is that even a bad day on a slalom ski is better than a good day on a wakeboard. My man, please don't go to the dark side. (Hope none of the wakeboard guys sees this.) I rarely get to ski anymore. Most of the time I am pulling people, whcih is fine, cause I just love being on the water. Sometimes when I can't get anyone to go with me, I just go to the lake and spend the day lazing around the boat with food, drink, and reading material. When I do get a pull, which now is like four times a year, I am riding a Connolly double boot F1X. It's a shaped ski in the tournament category. Stick with us! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I purchased a Connelly FX ski. It is a shaped ski. It is much easier to get up on and it is very stable, not twitchy at all. The shape makes it "fall" into the turn and not like changing edges on my HO ski. My wife really likes it and she skis on it.

Overall, it is a nice ski and may fit exactly what you are looking for. You can still ski the course with it. Also, the size allows you to ski at slower speeds, 28-32 seems to be good.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I have been using a Obrien synchro 69 love it. i don't use all my energy getting up, i bought it because i was 25lbs heavier then, but its still tough to find perfect water. i have the double wrap boots which i love. just wish i could get out more to ski.....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I 100% agree that bad skiing is better than good working, but the working is required to pay for my toys since I have not had a very rich uncle pass away that I never knew about.

I really do like to ski still, but find it hard with the weekend rough water and it just being easier for me to jsut stay in the boat and pull everyone else. I try to ski early and first and get my slalom and if feeling real stupid barefoot run out of the way before the rest of the world gets up, but I was just curious how many have converted to the grey side of a more forgiving ski.

Don't worry, I will not ever be a full dark side convert to the wake boarding world, i am too old to start with the inverts and all the crap that looks cool. I have done flips on kneeboards and will do a flip on a wakeboard, but there is nothing like a good early morning slalom run to get the heart pumping, speed, spray, and most of those little punk kids hang upside down in the air will never be able to get up on a slalom, much less be able to tell when you get to the wake whether you chickened out and flatten the ski or you hang tough out of position and cut straight through it never knowing it is there.

I think I feel a tear forming, I need a lake with smooth water!!!!!

Or just friends who will get up early .... sigh .....
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off