Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this normal

I don't think I can use the old one, it looks pretty flattened out , why take a chance since I already have it off. I wll try to get it locally, if not i'll call skidim. Do i need to torque the bolts on the cover ??
    06 XLV

Sled491 Guest

They are small and brass. I'm sure there are torque specs, but I just tighten by feel and never had a leak yet. Careful not to overtighten as I mentioned they are brass after all.

"Tighten by feel". The words I lived to fear as a child. I have "feel". My Dad has "fear". He always "feared" the loose bolt. His solution: Tighten till it won't budge a bit-- then tighten a bit more-- then tighten a bit more to be sure to prove you are stronger than the next guy! If you feel the bolt breaking, then tighten it more to prove it is defective, then drill out the broken bolt and break off the drill bit in the hole. When the unsuspecting son wakes up and you are still working, drilling out the broken drill bit, you can claim you were very thorough . . .. . . .. . .
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

OK, that's not fair. When you tighten a cover- screw the bolts down snug. Then imagine the seal you are trying to tighten/ crush slightly. How much force does it take? If you are wrong it might drip a little. If you notice the drip you can tighten a bit more. No need to snap bolts, right? Do I make my point? Sorry to offend.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Sled491 Guest

This is what you get for posting at the end of a long day

davinci, you are doing a complete engine replacement so I recommend replacing the impeller and other tune-up items such as spark plugs, oil and tranny change because you may have your hands full with other issues. The impeller is an item that may be inspected and replaced on the water so taking the cover off and replacing it does not require torquing.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    This is what you get for posting at the end of a long day
    Forgive the rant. I was in poor shape being all tired and slightly PWI. It was such a recurring theme for me and it just triggered the response. Things are so much brighter today (Moomba ready for p/u on Thurs.).
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

ok ...so no torque wrench just (FEEL) Lol
    Yes i will be replacing the plugs /oils/ exhaust manifold gaskets/impeller/fuel filter, also extend oil drain hose for easier future oil changes. Somewhere on the forum I read about greasing the rudder by the zerk but I don't have a zerk on mine (am I the only one) ??
    06 XLV

Sled491 Guest

Never seen a zerk on mine, but I guess it could be added easy enough

Quote Originally Posted by davinci View Post
    Somewhere on the forum I read about greasing the rudder by the zerk but I don't have a zerk on mine (am I the only one) ??
    I know for fact on 02 OB LSV has one..