Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question From Manual???

I always do all my own service on my boat and today I did something I rarely do...looked at a manual. The 2007 owners manual had two maintenece items that I've never done and I'm not sure exactly what they are "clean tansmission oil strainer screen" and "lubricate distributer cam". Can anybody explain / help ? See image & thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can help with the first one. Underneath the transmission, there is a cover plate with I think two bolts holding it on. Once you take that plate off, there is a cylindrical metal screen inside. You can drop it out, clean it, and put it back in. Two things. First, it can be difficult to get back installed since it wants to fall out when you try and put the plate back and if you don't have it back on square it can leak. Second, obviously the transmission should be drained before attempting this.

I'm assuming this should be done when you change out the tranny fluid? Asking because I'm going to be doing that in a month or so when winterizing.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Thanks NCSUmoomba!

I assume you have a V-Drive??? My boat is an LS (DD) and my tranny is different than the V-drives but I am sure the concept is the same. I will look for this screen this weekend when I change the ATF fluid. I've changed the ATF fluid a number of times but never noticed a screen or filter of any kind. I will look for it and try and get some pictures to post. The DD transmission is very different than the V-drive...It doesn't even have water cooling. That sucker is tight to the hull and I can't wait to try and get my hands under it and try to put slippery bolts and screen back in. Better stock up on beer.

I will keep searching on the 'lubricate distributer cam' question. I'm embarrassed to say I've never even noticed a distributer cap in there. I just assumed I had electronic ignition coils like all new engines have.

I think brain rinse or somebody posted a How To on the tranny screen. Try running a search.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

No I have a DD as well. I have a 2001 Outback. It is a tight fit. I have checked mine a couple of times, but there was never any debris in it.

JonJ - do you have an 07 too?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

It was doc... This should help: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10977

I knew it was somebody with brains. Thanks!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks Brain_Rinse and Doc! This helps a ton.

Viking - Yes, I have an 07 Mobius LS.

I had planned to get this done this weekend but it never happened. Is there any benefit to having run the engine first for this job? I have unfortunatley already had to winterize the boat this year to conclude the worst weather summer that never was. Still put on almost 100 hours in the rain, cold, wind, and the odd sunny day!