Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

you can find a couple of used LS on ww, ebay, onlyinboards if you look hard enough....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

The 2010 Outback V has a fair to good slalom wake around 30-32, it lays down fairly well with the wake plate down 3/4 or more, not a tournament slalom wake however. Some will depend on how loaded down your boat is, sometimes less is better.

The Outback V 2009 and newer are deeper than the Outback DD.

On the OBV With the Gravity III ballast it can put up a pretty good wake for wakeboarding and wake surfing. Again, not professional grade, but plenty for us that are out just to have fun.

Wakeboarding and wake surfing is pretty new to me, been on a slalom since I was a pup, many many moons ago. I wanted a boat that could do both slalom, wakeboarding, wake surfing and yes the evil tubing when the mood strikes. I did a ton of research and forum loitering and the Outback V hit every point I was looking for. I also like the floor plan and storage much better than the Outback DD.

If you are looking to mostly run the course you would probably prefer the Outback DD however.

I only free ride slalom anymore and I wanted some capability to play around with the wake sports more so I didn't really need a tournament quality slalom wake
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by Patro View Post
    [...] my wife likes the looks of a v-drive boat verses a direct drive so that's another stumbling block.
    I happen to agree with her on which layout is preferable, but the boat's functionality is why it is being purchased. The activity behind the boat is what matters most. Does she ride? If so, would she appreciate the experience being diluted in favour of a better lounging experience on the boat? Probably not.

Regardless, best wishes with the purchase and the ensuing experience. It's a blast!
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I own a 2006 Outback DD and love the slalom wake. I'm a beginner wakeboarder so the it does plenty for me with the factory ballast. If you are a skiier, then I would say buy as ski boat and add the ballast/wake plate when you want to wakeboard. You can do things to make the wake bigger on a ski boat, but its hard (if not impossible) to make the wake smaller with a boat designed for wakeboarding. My only complaint about the Outback is the low freeboard as mentioned before, but its a minor complaint.
    2006 Outback DD

It looks like my best choice will be the Outback V. The wake has to be better for slalom than what I'm riding on now (Sea Ray 195 Sport, which will be sold tomorrow ).

I don't run the course, only free ride.

Hopefully work will allow me to get down and check out a few dealers in the next couple of weeks to help me decide.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm sure more questions will come.

man if you're coming from a sea ray you'll love the OBV all around. It's a boat that can do it all. When you get it take some time in open water to get a feel for the handling. I graduated from my dad's bass tracker party deck 21 and I had some buyers remorse the first time I tried to steer around close docks but now I can do stuff in my V drive no I/O can do. Plus I can back it in my garage and shut the door!
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

I have to agree with pogofx. You can pretty easily make a decent wake behind a DD with ballast and plate. Harder to make a decent salom wake behind a v-drive. Outback V is probably a really good choice to do both. We went from an I/O to the DD and couldnt have been happier!

I have to get in on this as well. I debated this for the whole summer. Was I willing to give up the slalom wake of my MasterCraft and move to a bigger boat with more storage, room, and amenities. I like to surf, wakeboard and ski. I've been skiing for the better part of 30 years so I hate to give it up. We test drove the 2010 OBV and the slalom wake around 32 was not bad. I know the DD Outback would be great but we wanted the seating of the V drive. We then made the mistake of test driving the LSV. I loved the room and size of it. We figured if we were spending the money on a new boat we might well get one geared more for the future. The slalom wake is big but you can still have fun out there. I don't have the luxury of skiing a course often enough so I figured lets go bigger so we can fit my 6'-2" 13 year old and my 11 year old and their friends and still have room to breath. It's a tough call, I really tried to look at the big picture of what would fit all of our needs. The OBV is a great choice for a cross over. I love our LSV though.

If you don't regularly ski a slalom course you really can't go wrong with the LSV. It just does too many things too well to not consider it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!