Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prop wont come off. I even broke a prop puller!

I hit a log about 1 month ago with my OJ 14.25x14 prop. I did not have a spare so my buddy lent me his spare OJ 13.7x17.

I used a hammer to remove my prop but I did not want to risk any damage to my friends prop so I decided to use his OJ Prop Puller. The prop is on there so tight, I actually snapped the tip right off the puller that goes on the end of the shaft!!!

I ordered a new OJ Prop Puller from skidim and I also ordered an OJ Prop Knocker. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ1146
    Economical option to the traditional prop puller. Simply screw it on in place of your prop nut and give it a knock with a hammer.

I was not sure why I would want to hammer the prop onto the shaft but apparently this could work so I am willing to try anything.

I am attempting all of this under water. Pulling my boat out to swap the prop is not really an option to me right now. I also don't think it would help me any because its so easy to work on the boat under water.

Any tips on removing this prop would be greatly appreciated!
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

It's worked for me to repeat 2 steps: 1. tighten prop puller nut - just snug it up good, don't put too much force on it, and 2. tap end of puller with mallet/hammer. Then repeat. It only takes 2 cycles of this at the most, and just gentle taps with the mallet/hammer. The first time I removed my prop I did not do step 2 and I thought I was going to break something.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

i did the same as mnpracing but i used a brass hammer came off within two hits .
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

problem is doing this in the water. last time I tried to swing a hammer in the water, it resulted in limited success..

good luck

personally, I'd try to "rent" someone elses' trailer at the boat ramp for an hour to do it. any competition ski boat trailer would work for a makeshift mobile workbench and bet you would find someone that would help out for some cash/beer..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

It seems the "prop knocker" that I purchased works on harmonic vibrations. I might not even need to use the prop puller the way people talk about these online.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    problem is doing this in the water. last time I tried to swing a hammer in the water, it resulted in limited success..

good luck

personally, I'd try to "rent" someone elses' trailer at the boat ramp for an hour to do it. any competition ski boat trailer would work for a makeshift mobile workbench and bet you would find someone that would help out for some cash/beer..
    Not many wakeboard boats on my river unfortunately.

I was able to remove my original prop with a hammer under water so I am pretty confident with using the "prop knocker" now.

If u used a puller and it broke the knocker may not work .I started with the knocker and my prop would not come off i needed to put tension on the prop with a puller and knock it with a hammer.
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by papou View Post
    If u used a puller and it broke the knocker may not work .I started with the knocker and my prop would not come off i needed to put tension on the prop with a puller and knock it with a hammer.
    If the knocker does not work, I will use the puller, then tighten it up and knock on it a few times. Hopefully that will be enough.

A salty old fella once told me that using the prop knocker actually sends a vibration up the shaft and when it comes back down it jars the prop loose. Then again, he also told me a few fish stories that sounded a bit incredible.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

deaf,

I had this same problem. What I did is put the prop puller on and cranked on it pretty tight. Then I got behind the prop and gave the back of the prop puller a couple of whacks with a hammer and it popped right off. This is the same as mnpracing advised.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV