Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A rubber strap wrench will take them off with no problem at all. Put it on near the seal and turn.

99 Moomba Outback with lots of work

I have to agree with Ed, i broke one trying to get mine off.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I couldn't quite believe this thread when I first read it last month. I thought, "poor fellow Moomba owners that have to deal with this kinda stuff."

I joined the club this afternoon with the same dang problem with the oil filter. I cranked until I almost passed out and the mounting bracket began to bend on me. I left it for the night before I my temper got the best of me and I broke something. I'm going to try again tomorrow morning with bracing the bracket, but I'm preparing myself to remove the lines & bracket and slap it in a vise.

Welcome to the club. Now shotgun two Yeunglings, swear at the old lady, bust your knuckles a few times, get oil all over the place and then change the filter!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I'll take you up on the Yeungs, but skip the other ones if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by badasshybrid View Post
    A rubber strap wrench will take them off with no problem at all. Put it on near the seal and turn.

Well Not exactly! I had this issue a couple of years ago while performing my first 10 hour oil change. I had a very good oil filter wrench and it wouldn't budge. I put a section of pipe over the handle and felt it turning and thought Ah.....it is off. Nope! I bent the metal handle of the oil filter wrench, two steel arms 3/16" thick each!!! . I took it to a dealer and well.....Lets just say that I actually ended up getting getting a replacement motor! Yes after just 10 hours on the factory motor they had to ship one from Indmar and replace my motor. I now put on my own filters and haven't had this issue but when it says hand tight don't take that to mean hand tight with a man doing it. Don't take it to mean hand tight with your wife doing it. I quantify this as hand tight with my 13 year old son doing it. Check for leaks and off we go.
    I really believe there is a thermal expansion problem here. Dissimiliar metals?
    Last edited by zegm; 09-26-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    I couldn't quite believe this thread when I first read it last month. I thought, "poor fellow Moomba owners that have to deal with this kinda stuff."

I joined the club this afternoon with the same dang problem with the oil filter. I cranked until I almost passed out and the mounting bracket began to bend on me. I left it for the night before I my temper got the best of me and I broke something. I'm going to try again tomorrow morning with bracing the bracket, but I'm preparing myself to remove the lines & bracket and slap it in a vise.
    I was able to crank so hard on mine (with the bent oil filter wrench mind you) that I twisted the filter housing. If you can't get to it easily I would recommend that you take it off and put it in a vise. Luckily for you V-drive guys you won't end up damaging your engine block if things go wrong. And trust me things can go wrong!!!

had to go with Razzman's advice and pulled the whole dang thing off. THANKS Razz for the idea!

bent the heck out of the bracket

Had to put it in a vice, tried the oil filter wrench, tried a second oil filter wrench, tried a strap wrench then pullled out the big ole' bad boy (should've started with this one) 18 inch pipe wrench. It took 2 of us cranking to get it to begin to budge. Noted once it was off that the gasket looked as dry as the new one in the box.

I ended up braking the filter mount this weekend...

I know someone who took an air chisel to the ring on the end/opening of the filter to try to get the oil filter off and ended up digging a deep groove into the cast iron engine block rendering the engine useless.
    Luckily that person is no longer in the Inboard Boat Repair Business!

tidbit of the day!

Purolater:

German for Oil Filter!

Quiz of the day:

Knockinwell (probably spelled incorrectly)?