Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Summer fun video

I put together a 4 minute video with some footage from our barefooting and wakesurfing summer with the new Outback. It was a last minute idea, so nothing great, but we have fun watching it. If you're really bored, here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjBTO6-hDYQ
    2010 Outback

nice vid
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

I enjoyed it very much! Thanks for sharing.

How do you like your boom. Pros/Cons? What brand? I would like to get one for my outback eventually.

The boom has been outstanding. It is a Barefoot International. As you can see in the video, teaching kids any watersports on the boom is much easier than without the boom. I am sure you have pulled kids 10-20 times trying to get them up on skis, wakeboard, etc. No more. The boom pulls kids up on the first or second try every time. It has paid for itself in saved fuel. Plus, teaching kids or adults to barefoot without one would be far too painful for most people, and it has allowed me to step up my barefooting considerably from where it was last year behind the I/O with no boom. I ordered my boom from The Footers Edge (Lane Bowers), which includes a free video on teaching barefooting on the boom. I have two extensions; a regular extension and a small grip extension on the end of the boom. The extension takes the skier out of the boat spray, and the small grip helps avoid fatigue from gripping a large boom (particularly for kids). One extension is a good idea; two is even better.

Thanks for watching the video.
    2010 Outback

The disadvantages of the boom are that I can't leave it on when I pull into the boat lift (nor will the boom swing vertical - the tower is in the way). So, to pull into the lift, I have to remove the boom. When the boom is on, I moor on the side of the dock. Putting in on and taking it off takes about 2 minutes, but it is a little awkward and a bit of a struggle, so it's not something I prefer to do more than once per day. That is the only downside to the boom that I can think of.
    2010 Outback

Smile

jmondi - Excellent! Really enjoyed watching your fun. Now we want to see some video of slalom behind that Outback. Thanks. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

jmondl - Questions:

1) What ballast was in use for the wake surf segment?
    2) How many inches are below (or above) the quick release block bolted to your tow pylon? (Trying to figure out the upward pitch of your boom.)
    3) Other than the 43 mph segment of the video, what were the barefoot speeds for your sons and you?

I have the same boat and setup. Thanks! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    1) What ballast was in use for the wake surf segment?
    2) How many inches are below (or above) the quick release block bolted to your tow pylon? (Trying to figure out the upward pitch of your boom.)
    3) Other than the 43 mph segment of the video, what were the barefoot speeds for your sons and you?
    1) The ballast is the optional FatSac that I ordered from Moomba when I bought the boat. I do not know the capacity. It sits under the stern bench seat.
    2) I will measure that this weekend. It has very little upward angle. Generally it extends straight out, slightly up.
    3) Barefooting on the boom I believe was upper 20s (~2 for my 13 year old, and about 31 when he barefooted on the short line on the boom (not shown on the video). When my 9 year old tried barefooting on the boom, (you can see in the video he told us to slow down from mid-20s) we went low 20s, which was not fast enough. For me (150#), I generally went about 35 mph last year and when I first got the boom this year (some of the video is shot at 35 or so), but now I genereally run WOT, which is around 43.
    2010 Outback

Nice video! What did you use for editing?

Thanks,
    J
    06 LSV
    2 - 750lb Fatsacks, Custom Sunbrella Cover and Bimini, Kenwood KMR440MU and Amp Bazooka Tower Speakers, Aerial Mirror, Stargazer, 4 Port Heater.

Toys - O'Brien Natural, CWB Pure, IS Yellow Loogie, CWB Ride, Hyperlite Voyageur for the kids.

Very cool,Thanks
    04 LSV