Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Haha! Goodtimes!

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    Pop quiz: What would you do? You are driving the boat, you are coming in far too fast, the loader waves you off and tells you to back off. Please write you answer below.
    A:________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________
    "I'm giving it all she's got Captain!"

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Welcome, great write up, but hows the new boat?
    Ah, the boat. Well the boat is remarkably unharmed except for peeling off some plastic that transfered from the guide poles to the stainless rub rail. The trailer took the hits pretty well, some abused plastic on the guide poles and the one pole bend forward and out a fair amount. I'll be taking the come along to it this weekend.
    Last edited by KSmith; 08-27-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

too funny!!!! you have the knack fro writing entertaining tales for sure!! lol!
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

You made a point that comes up fairly often around here. Even having spend a great deal of time around boats you still have to learn to drive an inboard. Getting your other half some seat time is really important. Because when you're tired, wet and hungry is not the time to learn. Glad everyone's OK and damage is minimal. Oh yeah, better take a fencing class.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Why is it that most new v-drive boat drivers insist that faster is better when loading? All you need is to barely engage the boat from neutral to forward for a second and back to neutral just so you get some prop wash on the rudder to make subtle corrections

They all want to come in fast and then slow down. When I drive on I come in real slow then accelerate at the last second to put it right down the middle and shove it up on there without being out of control.

It's the opposite of letting the clutch out-- fast, then slow, not slow then fast-- beginners do the opposite.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    You made a point that comes up fairly often around here. Even having spend a great deal of time around boats you still have to learn to drive an inboard. Getting your other half some seat time is really important. Because when you're tired, wet and hungry is not the time to learn. Glad everyone's OK and damage is minimal. Oh yeah, better take a fencing class.
    Indeed. I have been considering a much bigger stick to put in the bed of the truck, but perhaps a good aim would help as well
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Great story! I'm still laughing.

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    Why is it that most new v-drive boat drivers insist that faster is better when loading? All you need is to barely engage the boat from neutral to forward for a second and back to neutral just so you get some prop wash on the rudder to make subtle corrections

that is exactly what my buddy who has had his V-drive for several years now told me to do when i got my boat. works well... you have to plan from quite a bit further out than with an i/o to...

geoff
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Quote Originally Posted by saskyrider View Post
    that is exactly what my buddy who has had his V-drive for several years now told me to do when i got my boat. works well... you have to plan from quite a bit further out than with an i/o to...

geoff
    Exactly. Also, to lessen the steering delay that the rudders have the best thing to do is to already turn the wheel (rudder) in the direction you need to go BEFORE you put the boat into forward. This method lets the rudder use all the wash from the prop. If you engage the boat into forward then back to neutral before you turn the wheel, you've missed most of the wash on the rudder and that gives the big delay in steering