Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Surface Scratches in Gel Coat

Anyone know of any products to buff out surface scratches in a boats gel coat. I had my boat shrink wrapped last winter and the plastic cover rubbed and put noticeable surface scratches all around my boat . I am looking for a good product to buff it out. Any suggestions, or is this something that should be done by a professional? Thanks for the help, the scratches are driving me crazy, I need to get them fixed!
    08 LSV, Perfect Pass, Grav III, 325 Indmar Assault and I love it!

Megures makes a marine type compound. Its like wax but when you feel it in your fingers its gritty. Use it to rub the scratches out then you have to rewax it really well to bring the shine back in the gell. I use it all the time for board scratches or anything else that happens.

#49 Marine and Oxidation remover is its name

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-oxi...emover-49.html
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

That stuff looks amazing. Ive got scratches all over my gel coat. Im gonna buy some of that and Ill try to take before and after pictures.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

I can relay a supporting, qualified, opinion on that. Dealer (of a competing brand) who I know, says that is the best product he has found for scratch treatment. This thread prompted me to go buy a bottle. The Meguire's distributor is 5 minutes away from me; just had a long chat with the expert there. I left with the kit (because as mmandley said, you need to do something afterward to bring back the shine):

1. No. 49 Oxidation Remover - "will remove oxidation, stains, and scratches".
    2. No. 45 Polish - "will restore brilliant gloss to the finish".
    3. No. 56 Pure Wax - "will provide long-lasting, durable protection to the restored surface".

...per the Meguire's site. They market it as a kit:
    http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product...oration-System

I'm out fifty bucks, so that sucker better shine! But I've got black & grey gelcoat, so need to be careful and use purpose-specific product.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

Moombabound, let me know how that kit works I have been sitting at work all day thinking about buying it. Trying to locate a dealer close to me so I buy some myself. Did the Meguiars folks have any comments against Babes Boat, I have using their wax and am very happy with the results.
    08 LSV, Perfect Pass, Grav III, 325 Indmar Assault and I love it!

OK. Patience req'd though. Won't be to the lake until Sept. long weekend (weather permitting). The World of Outlaws makes a rare Canadian stop here this weekend, so gotta take that in.

I'd really prefer not to take anything aggressive to the gelcoat at all, but I have incurred a couple of scuffs, not unexpectedly given we've visited a few other lakes on vacations. Plus the transom has taken it's share of wakeboard thumpings from the kids & their friends. The transom is where I expect to put this stuff to the most use.

No, the distributor didn't comment on any other brand. I'm sure there are lots of good waxes out there. Scratch removal is the kicker though. I tried Fine Scratch Remover. Then stepped up to Polishing Compound. Still see the scratches, plus a dull area from the compound. Rubbing Compound would be way too aggressive I believe. We'll see.

Meguiar's has a web store; you can buy it direct.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

Do you guys remember someone posting on here about maybe someone from Meguiars doing a short "proper way to wax" seminar of sorts at one of the Skiers Choice get togethers?

I have done a solid bit of searching, but seem to find so many conflicting ways to restore a gel coat.

My local guy wants a pretty hefty price for something that it looks like I can do for less than half of what he would charge me.

Hard to pay someone that kind of a markup when I am sure the info is somewhere on Google on how to do it correctly. But then again, if I do it wrong, my boat's gelcoat is not something I want to practice on.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

We pulled our boat out of the water just before going on vacation. It been at a dock for over three months and lot of use. We had some dock scratches from the fenders etc. I used a Meguiars cut and polish with a foam pad and low RPM, and it turned out like new. Quick coat of wax after the polish and it was good to go. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    ...Hard to pay someone that kind of a markup when I am sure the info is somewhere on Google on how to do it correctly. But then again, if I do it wrong, my boat's gelcoat is not something I want to practice on.
    I agree with you. Especially on the darker, high visibility colors.
    1. I called Meguiar's this morning and explained the situation. That my boat is not noticeably oxidized, so I don't want to treat the entire hull/deck, rather specific areas and wondered about blending. He assured me the product is not that aggressive; spot treatment is a good approach and with the polish, it should blend well.
    2. Meguair's does have another, new, product called Power Cut Compound. Intent is for professional grade detailers. I spoke to the distributor about it. I'll leave that product to the Pro's.
    3. Spoke to a friend tonight who repaired physical damage to a Response LXi. He said to use a variable speed polisher and avoid high RPMs as that can burn the gelcoat. Whereas, my neighbour went out and bought a high speed polisher specifically to buff out the scratches on his Malibu. Go figure...who's right?

Tricky business.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

They are always going to warn amateurs away from a high speed polisher. You can do damage in a couple seconds if you tilt it and don't keep the pad moving. If you keep it mostly square and never stop moving it is almost impossible to cause any damage. Beware of ridges though as the gel (or paint on an auto) is thinner there anyway and you can rub right through it. I like to rub stuff out with my high speed polisher and then finish the old fashioned way-- by hand. (Edit: Can't believe i just said that-- leave it alone-- you know who you are!)
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!