Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 2011 Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopskier View Post
    Getting off the naming/HP issue. I think most have said on this forum that for wakeboarding/wake surfing its not about the horsepower but Torque and getting the right prop. More horspower for the better the top end/speed. Not to say more HP isn't better but not critical for the slower speed/heavier boats for surfing. In the end I would buy the most I could afford. That way can't look back and say "I wish I would have"
    Horsepower is a function of torque. So the more torque you have the more horsepower you will have if you can spin the engine faster. Bigger engines make more torque due to displacements and compression ratios. For example diesels are torque monsters but don't make much horsepower as compared to a gas engine due to their lower RPM limits. My wifes 2.0 liter VW TDI only makes 140 horsepower but 235 ft.lb of torque due to the high compression ratios of diesel engines. Gas engines depend on higher RPM's to make Hp due to the lower torque they provide with their lower compression ratios.

For a given torque and speed, the power may be calculated; the relationship between torque in foot-pounds, rotational speed in RPM and horsepower is:

P(hp)= (T[ft.-lb])(ω[RPM])/5252 or Hp = T x RPM / 5252

Where P is power, Τ is torque, and ω is rotations per minute. The constant 5252 comes from (33,000 ft·lbf/min)/(2π rad./rev.).

The fact that most big diesel engines redline at less than 3000rpm illustrates the vast amount of torque they make at lower RPMs. This pretty much explains why Large boats and Trains use diesel engines, they need torque at lower RPM's to get the large Mass moving. This also helps by not having to have a lot of gear reduction in a big gearbox that would be needed with a Gas engine turning high RPM's to generate sufficient torque to move a heavy object. But in a skiboat you need both torque and RPM, if the RPM is limited you will not be able to go fast as you don't have a gear box to help spin the prop faster. So a bigblock gas engine would be the WAY to go if you want torque and speed in a skiboat! Check out the old MasterCraft Barefoot boat. They all said 454 cu in on the back of them!

We were talking to Zane Schwenk in Knoxville last weekend and he has been testing a new engine that MC just released. I think he said it was a supercharged 6.2L that puts out 540HP. He said he can run 4500# of ballast in his XStar and it runs 700 rpm less that the natrually aspirated version. I am not sure if it is an Indmar or an Ilmor, though.

oMg ED - I just about fell off my deck reading your post.

I have a stock answer too! When guys bust out the tech talk on me I just say,"1000 watts all day long".

- Brian, 1000 watts

Ps; I'll shoot you some stickers

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    The fact that most big diesel engines redline at less than 3000rpm illustrates the vast amount of torque they make at lower RPMs. This pretty much explains why Large boats and Trains use diesel engines, they need torque at lower RPM's to get the large Mass moving.
    Hey, zegm = While it would have no practical application to ski boats, it seems to me that large boats could use a diesel engine to get the mass moving and then switch to gas at higher speed. Anything like that with a dual engine system on the market now? - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

A lot of the harbor tugs in CA are moving to a diesel-electric hybrid system. Electric motor is 100% torque at all rpms. The motors can work on total electric, total diesel, or a combo of both. I saw a show on History about them. The show stated that over the first year, they were using 35% less diesel and had cut maintenance costs by 55%. I don't know where they got those numbers or how long it takes to offset the original cost.

I do know that my wife's Ford Fusion Hybrid gets great gas milage around town and is one of the best cars we have owned.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post

Ps; I'll shoot you some stickers
    I'll take 2 please. It's a well known fact from my old import car days that stickers add approx. 10hp for each one. stop any kid with a honda and they'll confirm this
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

If the sticker says "turbo" it adds 20 HP.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

If it says VTEC, Si, or Type R, I think you get like 30 HP. Potentially 90 HP if it says all three.
    2006 Outback DD

Big Fat tires on a car add about 50Hp I think

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    A lot of the harbor tugs in CA are moving to a diesel-electric hybrid system. Electric motor is 100% torque at all rpms. The motors can work on total electric, total diesel, or a combo of both. I saw a show on History about them. The show stated that over the first year, they were using 35% less diesel and had cut maintenance costs by 55%. I don't know where they got those numbers or how long it takes to offset the original cost.

I do know that my wife's Ford Fusion Hybrid gets great gas milage around town and is one of the best cars we have owned.
    American Locomotives use the diesel electric system due to the fact the electric motors can deliver 100% torque at all RPMs. The new GE AC/DC Diesel Locomotives have 16 cylinder 7000hp Duetz Diesels turning the generators. They are the most powerful trains in the world!!! My son and I got to tour the cab of one CSX Locomotive a few years ago. Go USA!

Ok I am confused, how can one family own a Chevy and a Ford at the same time???

A few years ago MasterCraft offered a Marine version of the VW V-10 Diesel engine that comes in my Touareg. With 550 lb-ft of torque at 1200RPM it should have no trouble getting anyone up! And as far as Diesel engines go the new VWs, BMW and Mercedes Diesels rev up to almost 5000rpm so you get the speed too! I just couldn't afford a 100k skiboat!
    Last edited by zegm; 08-24-2010 at 11:17 AM.