Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boomerang Carb

Default Boomerang Carb

Hi all, my first post on the board. A few weeks ago I bought a 99 Boomerang and have been enjoying my weekends on the water. My family has owned a Boomerang & Kanga before so I'm somewhat familiar with Moomba's.

My question is does anyone know what carb the 99 is supposed to have with the Indmar? I pulled my flame arrester last night and my carb is all rusted up, secondaries are solid rust and the boat has been running rough. The Holley that is on it doesn't seem like its OEM but I guess it could be.

Any help is appreciated.

Yup that is the OEM carb that Indmar used. It is a Holley 4150 600cfm, vacuum secondaries PN 75021-1...
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

I'd like to know how the water got in it to make it rust like that,and or was it used in salt water? A good rebuilder might be able to save it.
    jy

Quote Originally Posted by james yarosz View Post
    I'd like to know how the water got in it to make it rust like that,and or was it used in salt water? A good rebuilder might be able to save it.
    Good question, as far as I know it has not been used in salt but it did sit down in the water for a good part of the last 10 years.

I bought it from the original owner, an airline pilot who was rarely home. It was in a boat house covered but it did sit a lot. Seems to have some gel coat blisters under the water line. Engine only has 165 hours on it. I contacted guaranteed carburators and they said they can rebuild it for $250 (including shipping both ways). They also test and tune it after the rebuild so its bolt on, ready to go.

I talked to the shop manager of the local Mastercraft dealership and he said that he's used them in the past and had very good luck with them.

Here are a couple pics of the boat itself. It had quite a bit of oxidation but it polished right out with 3M rubbing compound and 3M cleaner wax.

cham - Nice to have you on the Moomba forum. You have a real classic there in that Boomerang. I hear that model has a flat wake and is a great ski boat. In what part of the country do you live? - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Thanks deerfield. I'm in Orlando FL

I'm a wakeboarder but I found a deal on the Boomerang that I couldn't pass up. With almost no hours on it and in near perfect shape I was able to pay $5k cash and walk away with the title, which is huge for me. I'm just getting back into the hobby after 7 years away and I want to make sure this is what I want to do.

Our ski season is about 10 months long so I'm looking forward to a LONG summer

P.S. And yes, my step dad is a slalom ski guy and he is loving life, at 30 it has an extremely flat wake.

Cham,

I have a 1997 Boomerang (original owner) which I use for WBing and also live in Orlando (Lake Holden). Hollar if you have any questions regarding your boat.

Good luck with it
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by ftd View Post
    Cham,

I have a 1997 Boomerang (original owner) which I use for WBing and also live in Orlando (Lake Holden). Hollar if you have any questions regarding your boat.

Good luck with it
    Frank
    Hey ftd, thanks. I'm most likely going to have a few questions as time passes on.

Right now I can't seem to locate the packing nut. When I open the dog house the farthest thing I can see is the driveshaft coupling behind the transmission. Do I have to get down in there with my arm to reach it? What's the best way to do that? I think mines leaking quite a bit because when I'm on the water my bildge kicks on several times per hour.

How do I access the blower motor?

Are you heading out to lake conway this weekend? They're having a "Wipeout Challenge" where they tie a whole bunch of tubes together on a sand bar area and watch people try and run across. People are going to tie their boats up and watch.

I have a 97 Boomerang. You'll have to remove the remove the rear floor section to adjust the packing nut. Remove the back panel that hides the fuel tank and loosen the motor cover (dog house) frame as the floor section extends under both. You should be able to get by with just lifting the back of the motor cover a couple of inches. The floor section is held in with at least 4 screws and the screw heads are probably hidden by the carpet. The screw heads probably just pulled thru the carpet when tightened down at the factory. I didn't replace my screws as the motor cover frame and back panel hold it in place anyway. If you do replace the screws you might want to use some trim washers to make the screws easier to find next time. You will probably have to slide the fuel tank out if your blower is located where mine is. My blower is located just above the fuel tank near the fuel vent hose. Hope this helps.

Good looking boat by the way.

Thanks AJ, I'll work on those this week