Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy SAD DAY IN WISCONSIN-stupid rock piles

Got a call from a friend of mine last night that also lives on the river. She sounded pretty worried as she told me to get my boat off the lift and come help them. Turns out they had ran their obv up on an umarked rockpile that comes up to mere inches below the surface. It took me about an hour of swimming under and moving rocks before we were finally able to push it off and I drove it home for her and put it on the lift. We checked underneath and they messed it up real bad-scrapes everywhere, driveshaft looked bad too, and prop was MESSED UP. I have pulled so many boaters off that pile. We (a bunch of people on the river) went to a city hall meeting and tried to get them to mark them. They said absolutly not because they don't want to be held liable. Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't it be worse if they knew about them ( yes, there is about 11 unmarked and only two marked) and didn't do anything?! Luckily nobody was hurt. Just blowing some steam here. Feel free to add anything, as I would love to hear if anyone else has had a problem like this (rocks or marking hazards).

This kind of thing happens allllll the time with noone wanting to take responsibility. You know how to fix it? You ANONYMOUSLY mark it. Go out there one night at 3am and mark the SOB. Thats what everyone does where I come from.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
    This kind of thing happens allllll the time with noone wanting to take responsibility. You know how to fix it? You ANONYMOUSLY mark it. Go out there one night at 3am and mark the SOB. Thats what everyone does where I come from.
    Already have the milk jugs spraypainted

Even around here the municipalities are ridiculous with making comments like that. I cant see how in any sense of anyones imagination they could be held liable for trying to do a "good samaritan" thing by marking a rock pile. People are just idiots these days. Glad to see someone you might know has the situation under control.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Well the argument makes no sense if there are two marked already. Are they hoping for some kind of proportional liability? Personally I think if the hazards are in a public waterway with a public landing then maybe they are at risk for NOT marking the hazards. After all - they are encouraging you to enter the waterway by providing a landing. If they provided a door to a deck with no hand railing they would be liable... I know this is probably completely different - but I'm just sayin ....
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Quote Originally Posted by baller40 View Post
    Already have the milk jugs spraypainted
    Empty laundry soap containers work well too. Plastic is a little thicker than a milk container and they are already colored too. Just keep an eye out for them on recycling day or save your own.

Somethings work best on the don't ask don't tell policy. If you ask, they say no. If you just do it, nobody cares.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Some times you have to take it on yourself to help out fellow boaters. By going to a town hall meeting you have made it on public record. If i was your friend I would submit my repair bill to the city and the record of them saying they where not going to mark the area to see what they say.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

been on a lake where people stick a white length of white pcv pipe into a pile, im sure they were done around 3am, most people will usually stay away from anything sticking up out of the water.--word will get around

Then dont be suprise if you start to see more unofficial markers
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

^ yep, that's what we do on our lake. take a 10ft piece of 1 1/2 inch pvl and a 3 lb maul out and drive it into the hazard until about 4-5 ft is left above the water. Most of the sandbars have a little "fence" of pvc marking them off and it makes a great place to hang out.

Fill a 2 liter with spray foam and spray pain it neon then tie it up like a boouy, start telling your friends what it is and let the word spread. It will not fix all the problems but could really help. If you lose it your not out much, just attempt to pick up trash every time your out.